My new old Briggs & Stratton 2.25HP

Mkala

Threads
Hello everybody,

I'm a fan of engines and love to play with small engines (as I don't have space place and money to play with bigger :laughing:)
I have fearly new power equipment so apart oil changes nothing else to do (yet)...

This is where come this old 71 2.25HO horizontal Briggs and Stratton engine ! Bought it at an action for the price of the muffler... so now I have bought one his value has doubled :laughing:
Still have to find a fuel tank, brackets and fuel line (this one as a fitting on the carburetor for copper fuel line, but perhaps will replace it with one for rubber fuel line) but all of this is quite expensive. As I don't know what I will do with this engine, for now I keep it as is.

IMG_1786_resized.jpgIMG_1787_resized.jpgIMG_1788_resized.jpgIMG_1789_resized.jpgIMG_1790_resized.jpgIMG_1792_resized.jpg

I have ordered some gaskets, it's quite oily everywhere... inside was a strange greenish oil. It run, will change the crankcase gasket and put new oil in it.

Threads
It looks almost new to me.... Oriiginal spark plug in it the black paint is on it .... I have a couple like that one but not nice like that one ......

I have a early to mid 60's 2 HP........ I need a air shroud on it.......

That's a real GEM you have there..........

Plus Tard Mon Ami ~!~!

Mkala

Threads
Thanks ;)

Yes almost brand new state. The plug is an Autolite A7NX stamped Made in USA ! Seem not to be really available now but if I have any problem with I should find a replacement like a (R)J19LM.

Looks like 2HP and 3HP share quite the same, but I see some engines with a tank below the carburator with what's look like a diaphragm carburetor and other like mine with a flo-jet carburetor with the tank on the other side on the motor.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Can you post the model, type and code numbers off you engine? I would like to find the original parts breakdown. To me it looks like there was never any brackets bolted to the engine. I have seen a couple of those older engines where the tank was remote mounted. Also, a cheaper way to get a copper fuel line is to have a plumber fabricate a line with copper tubing and compression fittings.

Mkala

Threads
I think this engine has never had and exhaust and a fuel tank, exactly. But I would like to install one, this is more convenient to have a "complete" engine :)

This was in a old stock, as a spare I think. Don't now for which application it was intended for.

Of course, there are information stamped on it :
Model Type Code
60301 0249 01 7106103

Thanks ;)

Anyone has the user manual ? (or operating and maintenance instruction)

2smoked

Threads
That’s a nice little gem. I have always had a soft spot for older B&S engines. I currently have an old cast iron Model 5S from the early ‘50’s that I plan on reviving this year. The first small engine I ever tore down was a B&S from the late ‘60’s.

Threads
Mkala..... the oil you see might have have come from the engine laying on it's side for a while ........ Gaskets are newer so they shouldn't leak........

Oil might have came from the exhaust port or the carb......... What you see might be break in oil ..... If the engine breaks down say 2 years from buying it and you take it in for warranty repair, they see the off colored oil and know it wasn't serviced like it was supposed to........

Check that out before you pop the Sump / crankcover off...... The sparkplug should last a very long time.... If it does go out use a J19LM you have points on yours so a RJ you wouldn't need.............

Plus Tard Mon Ami ................

Threads
Hey 2Smoked .... I have noticed your name on here for a while and I thought you would picked 2 stroked or 2 Stroker since you like the Lawn Boys.....

I sure miss the exhast smell from those older LB's .......... When you pass in the front of someones house and they cutting with a LB you know it right away...............

Plus Tard Mon Ami ~!~!

Mkala

Threads
Thanks all for infos, help and comments ;)

Rivets, thanks for links ! Already have the L-Head "master book" really usefull ;) (used it for hav

Boudreaux In Eunice La.
Engine was always almost in the right position I think, I got it in the B&S package ! But it's leaking, at least from the valve cover / breather. I tighten the screws it looks better, they were pretty loose.

Ok for the oil, nice idea. Now they don't put oil anymore.

Au fait tu parles francais mon ami ? ;)

2smoked thanks. Love the old good well made stuff too. Love briggs stratton (and Honda) engines. Especially these old, wit no plastic cam gear... My dream is to find an opposed twin in good shape (I should say only "an opposed twin" lol)

So I changed it and was able to run it a few minutes ! Now I have the muffler and was able to adjust mixture (main jet adjust was stuck).
I used a small rpm meter (picking signal from plug wire) to set idle at about 1750rpm and run it not too high for the moment. Should break in. About this, now the oil look a bit metalic inside is this normal ? I know it's an aluminum bore but it worry me a bit ? Never see this on other engines (but my new one are cast iron sleeved, and neved did the break in on others).