Differential (used) internal part needed

donnybegood

Threads
Hi ! from Australia,

Would anyone have any internal parts for this amazing plastic what- were- they- thinking diff ?

I disassembled mine to find that the short stub shaft on the R/H side was sheared off where it is internally supported by the longer L/H shaft.

I would like to rebuild the diff and have it as a spare as the rest of it's internals are OK. Its not a very weighty item, so may not cost much to ship to Australia .

Cheers .

donnybegood

Threads
20190110_130050.jpg

This is the short shaft with the external gear cog removed. The broken piece , about 1.5" long is shown standing on its end.

20190110_130022.jpg

This is the shaft with the broken piece superglued back in place - for identification purposes only !

I am wondering if it could be silver soldered back on ? Anyone tried that with this type of shaft in any device ?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Assuming it is a General Transmission unit, service replacement parts are available directly from General.
Sip also make plastic drives but AFAIK no mowers sold locally have them fitted.

And no you can not repair that shaft by silver soldering, in fact even welding would be highly likely to fail in that position.

And if Donny was really good he would have mentioned then make & model of the mower he is trying to fix.

donnybegood

Threads
Hi All,

Sorry, I thought I was in a Weedeater One Forum. I see its a general Weedeater Forum, which obviously covers all their products !

Machine is a Weedeater One (Mowcart 66 in Australia).

Thanks,

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
That broken shaft extension looks to be separate part from the outer sleeve gear. I suspect the shaft maybe could be pressed out of the sleeve and a standard piece of shafting inserted? Might be an interference fit that will need heat? Interesting machine there. 11 cubic inch Briggs engine on a rider, not real common.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There is only 1 forum.
It is broken up by brand to make it easier to search for information.
There are no single model sub groups here.

donnybegood

Threads
That broken shaft extension looks to be separate part from the outer sleeve gear. I suspect the shaft maybe could be pressed out of the sleeve and a standard piece of shafting inserted? Might be an interference fit that will need heat? Interesting machine there. 11 cubic inch Briggs engine on a rider, not real common.

Thanks Tom 3.

Ive been out of action for a week, hence my late reply.

Will disassemble the diff again and have a good look, but from the external view, it doesn't look like its an internal separate shaft.
And if it was pressed in from the other (internal) end into a blank hole, I wont be able to press it out. But will look for and respond again.

I think from over-googling, that Dixon make this diff, as jacks small engines in the usa stock it. I bet Dixon wont sell me just the shaft though!

donnybegood

Threads
Assuming it is a General Transmission unit, service replacement parts are available directly from General.
Sip also make plastic drives but AFAIK no mowers sold locally have them fitted.

And no you can not repair that shaft by silver soldering, in fact even welding would be highly likely to fail in that position.

And if Donny was really good he would have mentioned then make & model of the mower he is trying to fix.

Thanks for that Bert. General don't have this diff, and Ive emailed Sip in the UK to see if they do. I'll try Dixon in the USA, as they do make a replacement unit.

Someone, somewhere, will have one of these plastic diffs hurled into the corner of their shed. I'll keep an eye out for a "Free Mower" ad !

BTW, after pricing most of the parts from the USA, it was not much more ($50.00) to buy the complete transaxle from a local Husky dealer, which comes with the 3 x chains as well. I was going to buy the chains from Bearing Service.

Im going to disassemble the unit when it arrives though, check the grease in the diff, and fit grease nipples to all accessible bushes.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks for that Bert. General don't have this diff, and Ive emailed Sip in the UK to see if they do. I'll try Dixon in the USA, as they do make a replacement unit.

Someone, somewhere, will have one of these plastic diffs hurled into the corner of their shed. I'll keep an eye out for a "Free Mower" ad !

BTW, after pricing most of the parts from the USA, it was not much more ($50.00) to buy the complete transaxle from a local Husky dealer, which comes with the 3 x chains as well. I was going to buy the chains from Bearing Service.

Im going to disassemble the unit when it arrives though, check the grease in the diff, and fit grease nipples to all accessible bushes.

Double check what grease you use as a lot f them are in a solvent that can soften some types of plastics.