Hayter Condor help needed.

dfps

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,

New to the forum, Thank you for accepting me.

My first project is restoring a Hayter Condor which I was a bit over-enthusiastic in stripping down prior to Christmas.

Due to the 2 week holiday break I have now forgotten how the main drive , V belt , clutch pulley to gearbox are configured underneath the machine.
It doesn't help in the fact that the correct original V belt was missing so I had to guess at an SMA950 but no matter how I try to configure and adjust the
tensioner I cannot seem to get it to work correctly. I am obviously doing something wrong.

I am therefore hoping some kind soul will be willing to post a photo of underneath their Hayter Condor set up and maybe specify the correct V belt size.

This is how I have it currently set up. Is this correct ?

IMG_7313.JPG

Fingers crossed.

Many thanks

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
:welcome:

Welcome to the forum!

I'm going to move this thread over to our mower and equipment operation section to see if we can find you an answer.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If the tensioning pulley is V shaped it goes on the inside of the belt.
If it is flat bottomed it goes on the outside of the belt.
A lot of the older mowers used clutching pulleys that the pulled the belt out.
These mowers generally run standard pollyester or cotton , uncovered V belts.

The killer will be which way the rod moves when you engage the mower.
If it pulls in then the tensioner is correct as shown
If it pushes out then it goes on the other side of the belt.

dfps

Forum Newbie
Threads
If the tensioning pulley is V shaped it goes on the inside of the belt.
If it is flat bottomed it goes on the outside of the belt.
A lot of the older mowers used clutching pulleys that the pulled the belt out.
These mowers generally run standard pollyester or cotton , uncovered V belts.

The killer will be which way the rod moves when you engage the mower.
If it pulls in then the tensioner is correct as shown
If it pushes out then it goes on the other side of the belt.

Hi Bertsmobile,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. It's much appreciated.

I have ordered a couple of slightly smaller v belts and once they have arrived I will give it another try.
My clutch tensioner pulley is not V shaped so the V belt does not slot into it but simply presses against the flat side of the belt and
applies pressure and rotates with the belt when tensioned.
I have also replaced the bearing in the pulley so it runs smoothly.
I have tried to look online the Hayter parts diagrams for the machine but as the machines developed over the years there seem to have been
changes to the design so it doesn't help much.
Mine is an early model and is quite basic in design but it doesn't help that someone else has fiddled with it before I got it and also changed
the belt so I am not sure if the parts fitted are correct and how it should be set up to get it back to its original set up.
I will report back when I have had a chance to try the smaller belts.

In the meantime perhaps an owner of a similar machine will also comment and perhaps post a photo of their machine ?

Many thanks

(Account Closed)

Threads
I have ordered a couple of slightly smaller v belts and once they have arrived I will give it another try.
My clutch tensioner pulley is not V shaped so the V belt does not slot into it but simply presses against the flat side of the belt and
applies pressure and rotates with the belt when tensioned.
the belt so I am not sure if the parts fitted are correct and how it should be set up to get it back to its original set up.
I will report back when I have had a chance to try the smaller belts.

Many thanks

As noted, a very basic set up.

Where your tensioner CURRENTLY is sitting and the slop STILL in the belt, that currently installed belt is simply way too long

I would think, on the steel engagement shaft, there should be some visible "wear" on it where it goes thru the frame. If so, that will give you an idea where, approx, that shaft (and pulley) should be..

If you take a similar sized (diameter) rubber hose, wrap it around the pulleys (as it is now), you can measure the hose and get a real close idea on the length belt you'll need... Or cut the one down for measuring purposes...

dfps

Forum Newbie
Threads
As noted, a very basic set up.

Where your tensioner CURRENTLY is sitting and the slop STILL in the belt, that currently installed belt is simply way too long

I would think, on the steel engagement shaft, there should be some visible "wear" on it where it goes thru the frame. If so, that will give you an idea where, approx, that shaft (and pulley) should be..

If you take a similar sized (diameter) rubber hose, wrap it around the pulleys (as it is now), you can measure the hose and get a real close idea on the length belt you'll need... Or cut the one down for measuring purposes...

Thank you Scott

I am awaiting some shorter V belts which I have ordered on the internet.

I had assumed the belt that was fitted was the correct belt and ordered the same size by the code on the belt but obviously someone had tried to sort out this problem previously and probably fitted the wrong sized belt.

I will update the post later in the week after the new belts have arrived.

Many thanks again.