HELP! Kohler S265 Wood Splitter (help us not freeze to death)

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / HELP! Kohler S265 Wood Splitter (help us not freeze to death)
Don't even think of using a really rusty tank .
Rust flakes will break up really fine and clog up everything.
For the purpose of testing , pinch a tank of something else, a snow blower, push mower, motorcycle, invilid chair.
Don't matter what just so long as it has a tap .
Fit a nice new fuel filter, the bigger the better.
And yes you don't need much moisture to cause a valve to rust into place & jamb.
They usually free right up but if it is the inlet valve they oft take the oil seal with them so it will blow a little smoke.
That means no slacking off as she will know if the splitter is working hard or not :laughing:

328ifun

Threads
Don't even think of using a really rusty tank .
Rust flakes will break up really fine and clog up everything.
For the purpose of testing , pinch a tank of something else, a snow blower, push mower, motorcycle, invilid chair.
Don't matter what just so long as it has a tap .
Fit a nice new fuel filter, the bigger the better.
And yes you don't need much moisture to cause a valve to rust into place & jamb.
They usually free right up but if it is the inlet valve they oft take the oil seal with them so it will blow a little smoke.
That means no slacking off as she will know if the splitter is working hard or not :laughing:

I didn't think the rust was a good think, will go to auto parts store and get, a filter

I think it was the exhaust valve, was valve furthest from carb closest to exhaust!

328ifun

Threads
Alright,

Got the thing all put back together.

Got it running but it won't stay running or turns off If I adjust the throttle

Carb is new
Pulled the plug carbon fouled

Whats next? Adjust valves?

Honda Tech

Threads
OK. Sounds like the last reply was the closest to being on target. That engine, if not equipped with an exhaust deflector over the outlet on the muffler will fill with water. When you 'primed' it and it back-fired through the carb, you most likely have an exhaust valve rusted closed. Remove the valve cover and spark plug. Pull over...are both valves moving? If not, spray some good penetrating oil around valve stem and let sit overnight. Spray some more and see if you can get it to free up with some 'light' taps on the valve stem. Hopefully it frees up easily. Once free, spray some more lube and continue to pull over until it is operating smoothly. Reassemble and get to work.

Note: If your muffler does not have the exhaust deflector, get one.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
OK. Sounds like the last reply was the closest to being on target. That engine, if not equipped with an exhaust deflector over the outlet on the muffler will fill with water. When you 'primed' it and it back-fired through the carb, you most likely have an exhaust valve rusted closed. Remove the valve cover and spark plug. Pull over...are both valves moving? If not, spray some good penetrating oil around valve stem and let sit overnight. Spray some more and see if you can get it to free up with some 'light' taps on the valve stem. Hopefully it frees up easily. Once free, spray some more lube and continue to pull over until it is operating smoothly. Reassemble and get to work.

Note: If your muffler does not have the exhaust deflector, get one.

Good advice, particulary about the deflector.
Always good to have another tech on line.
He did have a stuck valve but it looked like that was overcome a while back

328ifun

Threads
I thought I'd follow up with everyone.

Installed the new tank today tried starting and it wouldn't stay running

swapped the plug out and it runs fine

Thanks for advice and help - I learned quite a bit