please help any help appreciated.

hastonandrew2

Forum Newbie
Threads
I got a Tecumseh hs40-55513e engine and I cannot get it to start. and I replaced the carburetor, and gaskets, and replaced the condenser, and the plug, and adjusted the points to 20 thousandths. and I still cannot get it to start any help will be appreciated thanks Andrew.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You told us what you did mechanically, but not the following. Did you check for spark? Did you check for fuel getting to the cylinder? When you changed the points, did you adjust the timing? If you have spark and fuel my bet is that you did not set the timing, which must be done when changing or adjusting the points. This is not easy to do unless you have the proper tools. This manual may help you out and has the procedure for setting the timing.
https://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Te...P-4-CYCLE-L-HEAD-FLAT-HEAD-ENGINES-692509.pdf

hastonandrew2

Forum Newbie
Threads
yep I got spark bud. fuel is not getting to the cylinder. how do I change that? I didn't change the points but I meant the condenser. no I did not adjust the timing how do I do that?.

upupandaway

Threads
...fuel is not getting to the cylinder. how do I change that?
Remove the bowl from the carb is it majorly crusty to dried gas? does the float drop when u remove the bowl? I start there before totally taking apart the carb and soaking it. Super easy problem - where the float gets stuck over the winter in the up position, worst- totally crusty deposits from sitting for a year. Post what u find.

hastonandrew2

Forum Newbie
Threads
it's got a brand new carburetor and carb gaskets on it.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First you need to spray some carb cleaner into the cylinder and see if the engine will fire. If it fires but does not stay running you have a fuel problem, carb or intake. No pop I would be checking the timing. Did you even look at the manual I posted, it has a procedure to check timing, but as I said it is not easy without special tools or past experience.

hastonandrew2

Forum Newbie
Threads
I will try timing it. cause I sprayed carb and choke cleaner in the throat of the carb and nothing. i will let you guys know what happens. thanks Andrew.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Check the flywheel key to see if it is sheared.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Also check to see if you have compression, then check spark timing.

jp1961

Threads
Hi Andrew,

Try starting fluid down in the carb, not carb and choke cleaner and see what happens.

Regards

Jeff