1966, 6hp tecumseh vh60 blowing oil out

catmotorhead

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello Fellas,
I have a John Deere 60 lawn mower with a snow blower. I was throwing snow and then it started throwing snow covered with oil. Without hesitation I shut her down. I'm very sure no damage was done to the engine however I cant tell where the oil is coming from. The shaft looks pretty clean I don't believe its the seal. Any thoughts?
thanks
Charley

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
We are going to need the model number off the engine and you are going to have to clean off the engine till you find the leak. Fresh oil is easy to find and follow.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Pull the dipstick and see if it is overfilled. Smell it, does it smell like gas? Let us know when you post back with the full model and serial numbers.

catmotorhead

Forum Newbie
Threads
So today I pulled the engine. I thought for sure it would be the oil seal. That wasn't it. I drained what oil was left in the case and it had fuel in it. I'm not surprised it sat for 10 months and it needs rings. But when I was running it the oil was at the correct level.

modle vh60-100001A
serial 6265 04279

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 4

catmotorhead

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well I'm stumped. I cleaned up the engine put it back on the frame with fresh oil and fired it up. No oil came out. Ran it for a while and put her in the garage.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
From slightly left field,
You were snow blowing
So could you have found a oil can under the snow ?
I ask this because the auger is run bu a belt or chain so if the engine blew a seal the oil would tend to run down the side of the blower and make you oily rather than mix with the snow.

catmotorhead

Forum Newbie
Threads
I was backin up and going forward around the house and trash cans. Its a mystery but I'll take the end results any day. Next project is piston and rings probably lap the valves while I'm at it.