JD 335 Surging

clayton327

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just bought at AUTO auction a JD 335 with 54 inch deck . Pd 400 has 241 hr. Typical smashed hood . Only mechanical issue is low end surging , 20 hp kawasaki with fh601v engine. tryed cleaning low speed jets to no avail. I am now looking at carbs on ebay. If I look long enough one will show up .Oh well do not need until spring and here in western NY that is 3 month away.

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
:welcome:

Nice find at the auction!

Don't forget to check out our John Deere section of the forum if you haven't gotten there already.

Threads
Hey Clayton..... We share the same name in a way ........... My middle name is Clayton .......

Ok back to your issue..... Not only do the idle jet needs cleaning but all the ports also.... I have ran across this many times...... There is a welch plug on the outside of the carb that needs to come out, you have to destroy it in order to get it out so have one on order or get one one from your local shop ..... Then give that carb hell in a ultra sonic cleaner ....

Surging is caused by your idle port, it works also with your high speed area also.....

Watch out for those cheapo carbs on Evil Bay and the china carbs, those are VERY LOW quality crap.........

Did you catch a name stamped on the carb ????

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

Threads
Is this your carb and internal parts ????? There are 2 different carbs for that engine..... Well different numbers on the engines also.....

I just helped a guy on here with almost the same issue...... I can send you a link to the service manual if you want it .....

Let me know some more info on the numbers......... Plus Tard Mon Ami ~!~!

clayton327

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey Clayton..... We share the same name in a way ........... My middle name is Clayton .......

Ok back to your issue..... Not only do the idle jet needs cleaning but all the ports also.... I have ran across this many times...... There is a welch plug on the outside of the carb that needs to come out, you have to destroy it in order to get it out so have one on order or get one one from your local shop ..... Then give that carb hell in a ultra sonic cleaner ....

Surging is caused by your idle port, it works also with your high speed area also.....

Watch out for those cheapo carbs on Evil Bay and the china carbs, those are VERY LOW quality crap.........

Did you catch a name stamped on the carb ????

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

Carb is Nikki numbers on carb are 15003 7046 also marked l and r I am originally from a small village named Clayton in NY

Threads
Threads
Clayton PM'd me and said that he once again cleaned the carb very well and it is up and running.... Even started in 18 degree weather.... Damn that's toooo cold for me ..... I like the 80's temps myself.......