Octane question

Kssummers

Threads
Question regarding octane/non-ethanol....there is only one gas station in my area which has non-ethanol gas, and it is 110 octane. Is that octane too high for my yard equipment (trimmer, blower, push mower, and ZT mower)? Or would I be better off just using a stabilizer with the regular gas?

Pumper54

Threads
I use regular hi-test gas with stabilizer and don't keep a ton of gas on hand so it tends to stay "fresher"

Tom

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Depends some on the octane calculation method, but real 110 R+M octane would probably burn up something I'd think. Seem motorcycle chrome exhaust turn blue from the heat with aviation gas with the high octane. I'd stick with what the OEM calls for with that machine.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Using higher than specified octane will not hurt anything, other than your gas mileage. Higher octane fuel weighs less per gallon than low octane fuel. Since we buy fuel by the gallon but burn it by the pound, it doesn't go as far as fuel that weighs more per gallon. I don't think this will be an issue with a lawn mower.

Higher octane gas is meant to be used in engines with higher compression. Higher octane gas is harder to ignite, hence less likely to pre-ignite or detonate ("ping" or "knock").

Running an engine meant for high octane gas on low octane fuel can be done if you restrict the amount of power the engine can produce. This is common among users of old radial engine aircraft.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I hear all sorts of rubbish about high octane fuels destroying engines and it is garbage.
Octane rating is simply a measure of the knock sensitiviity of the fuel.
Worst case is you are paying for a fuel that the engine can only partially burn because your compression ratio is not high enough.
Most high octane fuels do burn a little slower so can cause the exhaust to run a bit hotter .
Fuel management is a problem that is only going to get worse.
You can run ethanol fuels in a modern engine without problems just as long as the fuel is fresh.
It is the long term standing of the fuel that creates problems, particularly in regions with high humidity and big differences between the day time & night time temperatures.

Kssummers

Threads
Thanks to everyone for the responses. I know this octane debate is always discussed, I just wish we had more options for non ethanol fuel where I’m located in Annapolis MD. The non ethanol around here is super high octane or airplane fuel.

Kssummers

Threads
Thanks, I saw that the airport had some but didn’t realize it was 100, I thought it was around 110.

Threads
It is a Low Lead gas though I think..... In my years of hanging out at the airports and doing some flying, most all Hanger Gas as we call it is Low Lead.....

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
It is a Low Lead gas though I think..... In my years of hanging out at the airports and doing some flying, most all Hanger Gas as we call it is Low Lead.....
Yeah, the Purple stuff (145) is long gone. When I flew there was only 100 (green) and 100LL (blue).