Z665 not starting

cneumann

Threads
Hi just joined looking for some advice, I bought a used Z665 john deere and after using it most of the summer I started mowing one day and it made a bang and before I could shut it down it quit on me. I have looked into the fuel pump and some other small things like the carb solenoid, I am getting fuel to the carb and the solenoid is working good but the machine will not start.

Also i am curious if the 27 hp mtor has the compression release valve in it?

I did a compression test and got no compression on either cylinder, I am not getting any fuel into the cylinder, when i pull the spark plugs they are dry.

Thanks to anyone that can assist me with this problem.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
remove the spark plugs, pop a stick of some sort into the cylinder & find the top of the piston.
Rotate the engine slowly by hand ans see if the pistons actually move.
Chances are they don't.
If they do remove the rocker covers and check that the valves go in & out as the piston moves.
If they do, pull the flywheel cove off & check the square key has not sheared.

cneumann

Threads
Thanks i have already checked the valves and the key on the flywheel. If the piston is not moving up and down what is the next step

Threads
New crank shaft more than likely ...... If both pistons are not moving....... If only one is not then you threw a rod and that can be changed .......

cneumann

Threads
Thanks for the info i will check it out. Any idea what a crank costs

cneumann

Threads
Ok so neither piston moves when turning the flywheel by hand. Also double checked the key on the flywheel and that is good. Anybody have any idea on how long of a job it is to replace tha crankshaft? Also am i going to need to rrmove the engine from the mower to do this? What gaskets will i need to replace?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That is unfortunate news.
No matter what you do the engine has to come out so start by doing that.
Once the engine is out
Clean the PTO shaft till it is shiny then remove the sump.
What you see inside will determine where you go from there.
The entire engine could be trashed or the crank may have clean break and everything else is reusable

cneumann

Threads
Thanks will get it taken out and see what it looks like

Threads
Thanks will get it taken out and see what it looks like

Throw a model number and brand name of engine on here and I'll see what I can do to find a video for you to watch..... It'll help you along in your project ...........

cneumann

Threads
The motor is a briggs and straton, Model number is 44Q977
Type number is 0119G5