New-to-me "Vintage" SW 61" Walk Behind

tdipaul

Threads

Happy new year everybody.

Today I picked up this 1992 or 1993 SW61 to compliment my other older walk behind, a 2003 Giant Vac 48". I think I have an obsession with belt/gear drive mowers, I just love working on, tuning and mowing with them!

The kid I bought it from didn't know a darn thing about it but I am guessing by the condition of the components it was a lightly used estate machine. As you can see by the pics there's very little rust and wear/tear on it, I'd say she definitely escaped commercial service.

Here some pics of today's Job #1 which involved cleaning it up because I dislike working on dirty machines :)

Job #2 is straightening out the wiring and fabricating a battery tray for the electric starter because it was missing

tdipaul

Threads
Checked under the shroud tonight. Some dirt residue but no nests

Threads
Now that's a nice mower......... I have a friend of mine that owned a Scag dealership not that far from me.... He redoes them all the time... He still is a consultant for the woman that bought him out 10 years ago though.......

The only one thing I don't care about on that mower is there is no pedestals to stand on, like a stand behind mower....

That unit should last you a very long time ..........

Plus Tard Mon Ami ~!~!

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Nice machine for sure. But I'll stick with floating deck hydro walk behinds. :smile:

tdipaul

Threads
Now that's a nice mower......... I have a friend of mine that owned a Scag dealership not that far from me.... He redoes them all the time... He still is a consultant for the woman that bought him out 10 years ago though.......

The only one thing I don't care about on that mower is there is no pedestals to stand on, like a stand behind mower....

That unit should last you a very long time ..........

Plus Tard Mon Ami ~!~!

Its in great shape and I'm putting in the TLC so it lasts another 25 years!

This is the closest Im ever going to get to a stander and it looks like its going to be fun...

Threads
Its in great shape and I'm putting in the TLC so it lasts another 25 years!

This is the closest Im ever going to get to a stander and it looks like its going to be fun...

Great idea........... I like that pedestal..... Looks like the ones they on the older stand behinds years ago..... More comfortable with that on there...........

Plus Tard Mon Ami ~!~!

tdipaul

Threads
Thanks

Performed some maintenance this week. She's ready to mow now :)

Oil/filter

New left side alu spindle (the main shaft of the original was bent, causing a hefty vibration)

new shaft on order so the spindle can be used as a spare

new high lift blades and two new belts

big *** fuel filter

and a chute for safety's sake

Threads
Be careful with that high lift blade........... If your yard is sandy it will sand blast the underside of the deck...... LOL.....

Looking good Mon Ami ~!~!

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Be careful with that high lift blade........... If your yard is sandy it will sand blast the underside of the deck...... LOL.....

Looking good Mon Ami ~!~!

High lift blades are almost a requirement for cutting our cool season grasses in the Northeast USA.