New homeowner needing first mower.

CPOx

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all,

I recently closed on my first home after years of living in an apartment and will need to purchase my first lawnmower. My lawn (not including the house) is about 15,000 sqft and has been sodded with bermuda grass. My location is in southeast Virginia zone 7b. It is mostly flat and only has two ornamental/decorative small trees in the front yard. There are no big trees that overhang my lot so I don't anticipate a huge amount of pine cones and leaves like I experienced at my parents' house growing up. I don't plan on bagging my clippings ever.

My soft max budget would be $600. One note is that I am a very small man ... 5'5" at best so I won't be able to whip around monster mowers. I like the idea of electric mowers since I won't have to deal with gas but I'm not sure how practical the battery situation will be given the size of my lawn. I'm also not sure how an EGO does with bermuda grass. Pure-Gas.org doesn't show any ethanol free gas stations near me. I see a Scott's 20" reel mower for $15 on Craigslist, but I don't think I'd enjoy pushing it in a lawn this size.

My ever-changing list of options include:

Honda HRX217VKA
Honda HRR216VKA
Toro Recycler
EGO

I'll also be picking up a string trimmer at the same time (not including in the $600 mower budget). If I went gas I think I will get an Echo, and if I went electric I'd get EGO to increase the battery supply.

Any thoughts and recommendations would be appreciated!

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
You should be able to get a good self-propelled mower for $600. I would not try to mow 1/3rd of an acre with an electric.

Pure gas. org list 405 stations in Virginia that carry ethanol-free gas. How far away is the nearest one?

Echo makes good string trimmers.

(Account Closed)

Threads
Agreed ^^, too much grass for electric.. And yes, you can get a nice self propelled mower for $600.

I prefer Snapper (I'm on #2 in 33 years) with a Briggs but Honda is an excellent engine. Their also very proud of their parts should you need to purchase a rear wheel drive unit (parts not available-just the entire unit), etc..
IE, part #2: https://www.hondapartsnation.com/oemparts/a/hpe/505ce44ef870022d24bdc194/transmission-sda-sxa

Just an FYI, for ANY fuel I use/ store over summer (Hurricane season down here), I use "Gas Shok" in my fuel (both 2 and 4 stroke engines).

I can attest the fuel (Ethanol included) will last easily ONE year without varnishing up your fuel system.

Running everything dry, no fuel in the tank, also extends the life of your fuel lines...

Gas Shok: https://www.usafuelservice.com/product/gas-shok/

A customers old fuel lines (un-treated fuel left in tank):

Threads
If you want a mower that will last you for a lifetime then look at this mower..... The old saying is that they don't make em like they used toooooo, but they still do ......... The cost is more but you don't have to buy a mower every 2 to 3 years if you decide on a Sarlo........ They do have some cheaper but they aren't self propelled..........

sarlo-mower.myshopify.com/collections/small-belt-drive-mowers/products/624spsw

Plus Tard Mon Ami ~!~!

CPOx

Forum Newbie
Threads
Pure gas. org list 405 stations in Virginia that carry ethanol-free gas. How far away is the nearest one?

The nearest one on the Pure-Gas maps is about a 30 minute drive away. But I am not 100% convinced that the map is accurate or up to date since I live near the Chesapeake Bay and I would think that the boating community would be a reason to carry ethanol free fuel. I will drive around and scout out nearby gas stations.

There is a marina 10 minutes from my house but their website advertises "89 Octane ValvTect gasoline" which appears to be gas treated with additives instead of actually being ethanol free.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
As a Toro guy I would recommend a Toro model 21381, which should last 20 years if properly maintained. Should be in your range, but I don’t live on the east coast. Second, buy all your equipment from a dealer. This will give you a backup source for supplies and a great source for your questions. For spring trimmers I would like very heavily at Echo, great units and best warranty on the market. You should be able to find a dealer who handles both brands, talk to them now when they are a bit slow and then watch for their spring deals.

Sparkland

Threads
You should purchase a nice quality mower like a Toro or Honda, but there are others. A mower not starting is the most frustrating experience regarding mowing. Be sure to get one that starts easily. My neighbor has gone through two Toro mowers in the time that I have had my one Honda. The Honda is not without it's faults though. When mulching, some grass seeps out of the corner edge of the rear of the mower. That's only a nuisance when crossing concrete, because it leaves a small trail of grass.

On that note, I would only purchase a trimmer that is battery powered. Those small engines on trimmers are so finicky. I love my 40V DeWalt electric trimmer. Glad you were able to purchase your first home. Working in the yard can be therapeutic, if not too overwhelming.

Selluwud

Threads
Hello all,

I recently closed on my first home after years of living in an apartment and will need to purchase my first lawnmower. My lawn (not including the house) is about 15,000 sqft and has been sodded with bermuda grass. My location is in southeast Virginia zone 7b. It is mostly flat and only has two ornamental/decorative small trees in the front yard. There are no big trees that overhang my lot so I don't anticipate a huge amount of pine cones and leaves like I experienced at my parents' house growing up. I don't plan on bagging my clippings ever.

My soft max budget would be $600. One note is that I am a very small man ... 5'5" at best so I won't be able to whip around monster mowers. I like the idea of electric mowers since I won't have to deal with gas but I'm not sure how practical the battery situation will be given the size of my lawn. I'm also not sure how an EGO does with bermuda grass. Pure-Gas.org doesn't show any ethanol free gas stations near me. I see a Scott's 20" reel mower for $15 on Craigslist, but I don't think I'd enjoy pushing it in a lawn this size.

My ever-changing list of options include:

Honda HRX217VKA
Honda HRR216VKA
Toro Recycler
EGO

I'll also be picking up a string trimmer at the same time (not including in the $600 mower budget). If I went gas I think I will get an Echo, and if I went electric I'd get EGO to increase the battery supply.

I'm not sure where you live in SE VA but there is a Southern States store on Rte 460 outside of Windsor, VA whose gas pumps are ethanol free. It seems the EPA mandates ethanol mixed in auto gasoline in certain zones around larger populated areas due to average air quality. The Windsor location is outside of that zone. The price is much cheaper than a boat marina typically charges and I go there and stock up every so often for my 2-cycle 225HP outboard boat engine and yard power equipment

deminin

Threads
Hello all,

Honda HRX217VKA
Honda HRR216VKA
Toro Recycler
EGO

I would vote for a Toro Personal Pace mower. I've got one...bought it 6 or 7 years ago...and it has done quite well....just normal maintenance, and a new blade, last year. I especially like the "personal pace" feature...it mows as fast, or slow, as I wish to walk. You should be able to find one of these for under $400.

https://www.toro.com/en/homeowner/walk-behind-mowers/22-personal-pace-20332