Anti-Scalp Rollers

dmenn

Threads
Hi - I'm researching the purchase of a new zero-turn and I've been looking in the ZT-2800 range primarily. I've noticed that the number and position of anti-scalp rollers vary among the various manufacturers. Do the number and position of rollers make a difference as it relates to cut quality? Should I be factoring this in my decision making?

Scag Liberty Z: 2 front - both in the center, none in the rear
Ferris 400S: 2 front - one of each side, none in the rear
Cub Cadet Utlima ZT: 3 front - one on each side, one in middle, none in the rear
Gravely ZT-XL: 3 front - one on each side, one in middle, none in the rear

Thanks!

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
You sure about the Liberty? The ones I've seen had rollers in the center and on each side in the front.

Generally speaking, the decks on Zero-Turn mowers are suspended and the rollers on them serve only to prevent scalping on uneven ground. Personally I run them all the way up on my machines and rely on my own intelligence to avoid putting the deck in places that will dig it into the dirt. They tend to dig on turns and rip up turf if I run them lower, so actually do more harm than good. The bigger the deck, the more useful they are. So I wouldn't let the number of rollers make any decisions for me if you're not going over a 52 or 54 inch deck.

dmenn

Threads
You sure about the Liberty? The ones I've seen had rollers in the center and on each side in the front.

Generally speaking, the decks on Zero-Turn mowers are suspended and the rollers on them serve only to prevent scalping on uneven ground. Personally I run them all the way up on my machines and rely on my own intelligence to avoid putting the deck in places that will dig it into the dirt. They tend to dig on turns and rip up turf if I run them lower, so actually do more harm than good. The bigger the deck, the more useful they are. So I wouldn't let the number of rollers make any decisions for me if you're not going over a 52 or 54 inch deck.

Thanks for the feedback Darryl! The 48" and 52" wide decks only have 2. Once you bump up to the 60" deck, it's got 2 in the middle, and then one on each side in the front.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
You're welcome and I see. That makes sense, but I will say that if I only had one deck roller I would want it on the left front corner. That's the part of the deck that gets put into tree roots/mounds.