F engine carb. replacement

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Carb on my old Lawn Boy push mower with the F engine is pretty much wore out. Throttle shaft and bore is real sloppy and letting crankcase mixture back through bypass port into the intake, running pretty rich. Looking at new carbs, double the value of the mower for an actual LB replacement. But I see several Chinese carbs for Briggs etc that look pretty close to the Walbro on my mower. Anyone ever come up with a substitute that can be made to work?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Model # ?

All i can find by typing Lawnboy f series is a 75 buck carb.

jp1961

Threads
Didn't the F engine come with a plastic or a metal carb? My F has the metal Walbro carb, is this the one you have?

Know anyone with a lathe that could machine Delrin bushings to remove the slop?

Regards

Jeff

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Mower is the model L21 ZPNa with the 4 hp F engine. Walbro LMR carb, metal body, no real adjustments on it. Did replace the reed valves after I tried about everything else I could think of. Mower doesn't foul the plug or smoke, but I sure would like to get it running smoother. Have to put a heavy load on it to get it running smooth. Sure is one powerful little mower though. I tried blocking off the port from the engine and it ran really nice, until the load hit it, leaned out and pretty much quit.