HRX217HMA, battery only chrarges to 10.6V

JBtoro

Threads
Picked this up last spring; know nothing about its history. But it ran great all summer; one pull starting. Question concerns the battery and charging. It came with a dead battery (probably the original) but no charger. I got it to start charging the other day with a borrowed charger but it would only get up to a little over 10V. I was hoping that amt of juice might be enough to start one or twice it even though it would not be a reliable option week in and week out. But when I turned the key, nothing, not even a weak attempt to turn the starter (fuses are good). Is that because even though 10.6V "seems" close to 12V, it is way too little to even get the starter to make a noise? Or could it be something else?

John Fitzgerald

Threads
That battery has one or two "dead" cells. It should be replaced. Average of about 2.2 volts per cell fully charged. Six cells=13.2 V. No use in trying to charge it more.

jp1961

Threads
+1 on the dead battery.

Don't spend 80.00 on a battery from a lawnmower shop, get one (21.00) at a hobby shop for starting model airplane engines.

Regards

Jeff

upupandaway

Threads
get one (21.00) at a hobby shop
If you are talking of an AGM sealed battery, then look for computer UPS batteries. If it uses the same battery type as Sears uses, you can get those for $14...

JBtoro

Threads
If you are talking of an AGM sealed battery, then look for computer UPS batteries. If it uses the same battery type as Sears uses, you can get those for $14...

Love to get a link or suggestion on where to buy. I tried Amazon but didn't see any thing at that price point.

stevestd

Threads
You could try a charger with a "recondition" feature. I left my ignition on accidentally over Christmas and the battery was dead flat. The battery charger showed an error when trying to recharge. I pressed "RECOND" and let it do its work overnight. My 320CCA battery is now at 136% efficiency. I used a CTEK Multi US 7002 Battery Charger.

jp1961

Threads
I can't speak for a computer battery. I guess if its 12v and has the correct amps, then it would work,,,14 dollars is better than 21,,,lol.