Vanguard Qs

timster

Threads
I have a 6.5 hp B&S Vanguard (13L332-0036-F8) to power a Cyclone Rake I recently acquired. PO left ethanol in tank until it gelled/congealed. I pulled and cleaned the tank, replaced fuel line, pulled and cleaned carb thoroughly and now it will start with fuel valve open and choke on but only runs for a couple of seconds then dies. If I throttle it back to slow, it will run and gov will search a couple of times, then it dies. I'm thinking governor out of adjustment or maybe faulty spark switch...doubt its fuel, fuel line or carb at this point. It will run with carb cleaner, but I hate engine torture so I don't do that more than necessary. Are these V engines problematic or am I overlooking something in my ignorance of them? Another weird thing...if the air cleaner is off it won't start as above...with air cleaner completely on it runs for a couple of seconds than dies. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Briggs_13L300_M.gif
    Briggs_13L300_M.gif
    22.6 KB · Views: 7

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you brought it in to me and told me what you posted, I would start by cleaning the carb again and rebuilding it with a new kit. It sounds to me like the carb is either still plugged or the float is not set correctly, resulting in a lean running condition. Not the first time I’ve seen this problem.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
For the $4 difference between the cost of the repair kit and a complete carb, I would replace the carb.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks IL, never looked up the prices, which I should have before I posted.

timster

Threads
Thanks, that's the rub...waste more time/money on the cheap carb that's on there, or spend a like amount to replace with another cheap carb. Only to face a similar problem down the road? Who knows? Is there a better decent quality carb that will retrofit to this engine? Something with a real float needle? It's a wonderful Nikki.

(Account Closed)

Threads
Thanks, that's the rub...waste more time/money on the cheap carb that's on there, or spend a like amount to replace with another cheap carb. Only to face a similar problem down the road? Who knows? Is there a better decent quality carb that will retrofit to this engine? Something with a real float needle? It's a wonderful Nikki.

Just take the original apart and CLEAN IT. That's a good carb and not a knock off....

It's running super lean and something is still clogged.

Carb cleaner to keep it running verifies that. If you have access to an Ultra Sonic Cleaner use it.

We're assuming fuel IS FLOWING from the fuel line when off the carb, valve turn ON(if equipped), correct?

timster

Threads
Okay, I'll have a 3rd go at it. I put a new float and needle in it, some gaskets, etc. from the pricey carb kit and found the main jet clogged down in the bowl. Cleared that and all other passages with carb cleaner and compressed air...so where is the other end of the main jet? Somewhere at the top of the tube that the float fits over?
Yes, fuel flow is good and clean. The bowl drain confirms that one.
No sonic cleaner available. If a 3rd clean fails to do the job...it gets heaved into the lake and replaced. If that fails, the engine gets heaved into the lake and replaced.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
As stated Nikki makes a good carb, plus a doubt you can find a different carb for that engine.

(Account Closed)

Threads
Okay, I'll have a 3rd go at it. I put a new float and needle in it, some gaskets, etc. from the pricey carb kit and found the main jet clogged down in the bowl. Cleared that and all other passages with carb cleaner and compressed air...so where is the other end of the main jet? Somewhere at the top of the tube that the float fits over?
No sonic cleaner available. If a 3rd clean fails to do the job...it gets heaved into the lake and replaced. If that fails, the engine gets heaved into the lake and replaced.

The hole in the main jet (bowl) is usually what clogs...

ANYWHERE there's an orifice, spray carb cleaner or brake cleaner into it and make sure it COMES OUT SOME WHERE. If it doesn't, you've found a clog.

Usually spraying up where the main jet goes, cleaner will come out the bottom of the venture.

Here's a link for your carberator: https://www.jackssmallengines.com/j...arburetor-carburetor-overhaul-kit-fuel-supply

Part #958 is apparently your built in fuel filter. If the carb is spotless, I'd be looking real hard at that filter assembly:

Threads

Here's a link for your carb... #117 is your main jet.... Yes those kits are pricey. A new carb for only a few bucks more....

Please don't throw the engine in the lake... LOL.... If you are serious about that I'll pay for it to be shipped to me ...... I can clean that carb up and get that engine running in a short time ............

Plus Tard Mon Ami ~!~!

www.jackssmallengines.com/jacks-par...arburetor-carburetor-overhaul-kit-fuel-supply