Vanguard Qs

Threads
Might want to double check the top end RPMs. Call Briggs directly.

Almost every 4 stroke I've encountered, lawn mower type engine top speed is 3,600. (This is NOT counting 4 stroke blowers, etc.)

I'd bet your actual RPMs right now is under 3,000 from your description. Cranking it up to 3,600 makes a BIG DIFFERENCE..

Per Briggs (I called awhile ago), they stated the RPM's to be approx. 200 RPM's lower to lower the "BLADE SPEED" (safety reasons) for my 7HP Intek. It's set at just shy of 3,600 NOW.

I would not be setting the governor to run more than that or you'll shorten the life of the engine...Torque and HP goes down past that RPM...

Most of the newer engines, the governor adjustment is much simpler with just a simple spring. They'll be a tab the spring attaches to (with the governor/throttle plate). Bending that tab so the spring is TIGHTER, raises the RPM's. **I do NOT know if this is the case for your particular engine but very likely is...

Plz post back what your actual RPMs are and adjustment.

I agree with SRT on the rates of speed....... Lawn mowers are different cause of blade tip speed... 32 to 3600 RPM's

Leaf blowers and cyclones like yours hold a lil more than a mower....... Log splitters and such are rated different.... You can google a PDF sheet on the different engines and applications.... Briggs will only give you computer generated answer in the chat section.........Then tell you to contact a dealer.....

I would stick with the RPM's that's recommended to make your engine last longer..... Those Vanguards are pricey.....

I'll see what I can find for you .....

(Account Closed)

Threads
Threads
Re RPM's, from B&S:

https://www.briggsandstratton.com/n...ualSearch.html?searchrequested=13L332-0036-F8

Click on the "operators manual", page 11 for the below info:

3,600RPM's max for YOUR engine.

Your specific engines owners manual and parts manual are both at that link...

Page 20 in the PARTS book also shows your governor spring. As stated earlier, it's adjusted by bending a tab that holds the spring.

Yes again.........3600 RPM's which is higher than a mower engine. Like I said before it depends on the length of the blade and you don't have one....... You have a impeller.......

I looked in my Briggs Power Portal and you have a service engine..... I think this engine wasn't original to your cyclone rake unless they bought a few thousand service engines to install on their leaf collectors.....

Can you find out from the guy you bought it from if he replaced the engine ????

timster

Threads
Well the PO is the genius who let ethanol gel in the tank. The Vanguard engine is OEM. Can't check rpms until my new Asian toy arrives, but I'll post back with results. On the up side, it cranked over first pull this evening after work and ran strong. I'm glad it has a bowl drain, and that the fuel filter also has a removable bowl...makes keeping the carb empty and clean in the off season much easier. Here's the toy the Vanguard powers...sorry, don't have a shot of the engine side. The engine/crankshaft spins a large plastic impeller in the blower/fan housing and pulls debris/grass/leaves from the deck discharge chute through the tube to the impeller, which shoots it up the green upright chute into a heavy-canvas, vented container on wheels...the whole thing tilts back to dump the load when the container gets full. A necessary evil when age/shoulder surgeries, etc., make it impossible to use a rake and fire to clean an ocean of leaves from your place in the fall/winter. Thanks again.

Attachments

• JD212CycloneRake.jpg
    JD212CycloneRake.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 8

(Account Closed)

Threads
Nice set up! Even better now that it works!!

Haven't raked a leave (fall/winter) since 1979.

You can have em!!!

Threads
I found out thru Briggs that Cyclone bought the V-Guard engines for those...... Didn't have a chance to post the info though.... I am in the process of making a Crawfish A-2-Fay cooking video.......

Gotta eat LOL...............

Plus tard ............

timster

Threads
Well, my el cheapo Asian toy arrived and it actually works. Tested the Vanguard 6.5 hp today and it's running about 3480 rpm at WOT, and the engine is rated at 3600 rpm. Close enough for biscuits I guess...there could be that much variation in calibration of the Asian toy at the factory, or the cyclone rake folks might set the engines to run just under 3600 rpm, or it could have been that I took the reading on the rake impeller right next to the crankshaft and not on the end of the crankshaft itself. Now we'll see if the Vanguard lasts over time.

(Account Closed)

Threads
Well, my el cheapo Asian toy arrived and it actually works. Tested the Vanguard 6.5 hp today and it's running about 3480 rpm at WOT, and the engine is rated at 3600 rpm. Close enough for biscuits I guess...there could be that much variation in calibration of the Asian toy at the factory, or the cyclone rake folks might set the engines to run just under 3600 rpm, or it could have been that I took the reading on the rake impeller right next to the crankshaft and not on the end of the crankshaft itself. Now we'll see if the Vanguard lasts over time.

Yep, that's pretty close, better under than over revved.

BTW, put your new tool right on the spark plug cap for the most accurate reading. It's reading the spark and calculating the RPM's from that..

You'll find yourself fine tuning other machines for the correct RPM's, VERY, VERY handy!!

(Used mine today!)

timster

Threads
My old tiny tach used the plug wire. The new toy uses a laser and reflective tape...a $10 maarvel.