Vanguard Qs

(Account Closed)

Threads
My old tiny tach used the plug wire. The new toy uses a laser and reflective tape...a $10 maarvel.

Interesting! Never heard of that.

The only downside is on a machine where both ends of the crank are covered(pull starter and say a 2 stroke cutting ((clutch)) shaft)..

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The lasers & tape type are used by wood turners & machinists to check lathe speeds.
They used to be a common part of sound recordists kits as well the ensure tape speeds were correct.

timster

Threads
Yeah, can't beat it for what it really is...a cheap reliable enough way to check rpms in some circumstances/equipment. Cheap plastic laser pointer about the size of a pack of cigarettes, with digital read-out/scale, and memory recall function. Runs off a 9V battery, like a smoke-detector. Should last a few years in my special tools toolbox, unless I forget and leave the battery in it, or drop it on concrete. Doesn't appear to be very robust/durable, but it'll do. Can't post a pic for some reason, search the auction site for digital photo tachometer and look for the Hecho En China products.

(Account Closed)

Threads
I'm a "tool-a-holic" and prefer to buy (fortunate enough to), the best tools I can.

Whether it be a mano-meter, lazer heat temp gun, portable tach, welder, etc.

If used enough, they pay for themselves, many times over.

I just adjusted the exhaust valves (shim and bucket) last week end on my 4 cyl, 4 valves/cylinder, dual OHV motorcycle. First pic is that of the exhaust cam removed, ready to pull "buckets and shims" for new shims.

Second pic is that of a manometer (at idle) after a slight adjustment( Yamaha spec's allow for 10mms-the large line), which I'm well within 2mm's. That job would have cost over $600 and you wouldn't know for certain IF it was even done! Two exhaust valves were tight by .001"

W/O the proper (and good tools), I could NOT have done the job, period. That one job paid for every tool I used for that one job..

timster

Threads
Sweet. I spend whatever is necessary to enable me to maintain my equipment according to my skills, beyond that I hire it out to guys like you.:laughing:

Threads
Interesting! Never heard of that.

The only downside is on a machine where both ends of the crank are covered(pull starter and say a 2 stroke cutting ((clutch)) shaft)..

I have a You tube buddy that uses that type of TACH for mowers... He puts a piece of the tape on the blade and shoots it with the laser ....

It is an older one though..... I'll try and find a vid for you ...................

(Account Closed)

Threads
Sweet. I spend whatever is necessary to enable me to maintain my equipment according to my skills, beyond that I hire it out to guys like you.:laughing:

I have a Tree Service company that I now do all his machines. Heck, he has me working on his Vermeer Stump grinders, the large trailer, tree / stump shredders and all his chain saws, blowers, back pack blowers, pole saws (high end stuff-Echo's, Stihls, Red Max, etc).

I currently have an extending Echo pole saw PPT266 (branch came down wrong and snapped the extending pole, Echo weed wacker, waiting on a clutch brake for a CS 355 and waiting on a carb gasket for an OLD 11 HP, 5,000 watt, Briggs generator. Got it running but the top main gasket is leaking, flooding the engine after it's turned off...

Actually, before I met him (after Hurricane Irma hit down here, I hired him, lost an entire seawall), I had no experience with the Echo's and Stihls (or Vermeers). As posted above, You Tube is usually a BIG HELP. TARYL, even more (LOL).. I have no manuals for anything, just mostly use Jacks Parts diagrams and the ole noggin..

Neat tach too, never saw that before...Thanks..

BTW, if you didn't catch it in that video, the spring was attached in the wrong place. He doesn't show him moving it.. It should be attached to that slightly "upper arm" with the hole in it.. That's how you'd adjust the RPM's, bending that arm... A zip tie doesn't belong there..

Last edited: