Does this LB 10515 have a fuel filter?

PRob39

Threads
It is a Lawn Boy - Gold Series Model 10515 - serial 3915106, 1993 model, F motor. Don't see a filter. It does have an altitude adjustment screw on the carb.
I bought it new in about '94. Lately it's been very hard to start. I service it every spring, clean exhaust ports, plug, air filter, blade. Have never cleaned the carb. I was thinking of trying that first. Any suggestions? Would change the fuel filter if I could find it. During its life I have gone through 3 ignition modules (in the first year) and replaced the drive belt. Still runs strong once it gets warmed up.

Paul

(Account Closed)

Threads

viperv10

Threads
Hi Paul, welcome to the forum. That is a real good mower you have there. Yes your carburetor should have a tiny screen filter stuck inside the inlet to the carburetor when you pull off the fuel hose. You can blow it out with compressed air or spray it good with carb cleaner. Since your mower is that old it wouldn't hurt to take your carb off and clean it out. If you feel comfortable doing that. If you have never done it before you should take a couple close up pictures of the carb so you can put it back together right and get the throttle linkage back on right. I'm sure that there are some others on this forum that can tell you step by step on the proper way to clean a carb. Good luck!
Jerry

PRob39

Threads
Thanks Scott. I didn't know about Jacks. Newbie. Will I need a new one or can I clean the old one?

PRob39

Threads
Hi Paul, welcome to the forum. That is a real good mower you have there. Yes your carburetor should have a tiny screen filter stuck inside the inlet to the carburetor when you pull off the fuel hose. You can blow it out with compressed air or spray it good with carb cleaner. Since your mower is that old it wouldn't hurt to take your carb off and clean it out. If you feel comfortable doing that. If you have never done it before you should take a couple close up pictures of the carb so you can put it back together right and get the throttle linkage back on right. I'm sure that there are some others on this forum that can tell you step by step on the proper way to clean a carb. Good luck!
Jerry

Thanks viperv10. Excellent information. I think I'll clean the filter and see how she runs then. If no improvement I'll tackle removing and cleaning the carb.

jp1961

Threads
Hello,

Low compression and leaking crankcase seals could also be the culprit for hard to start.

Regards

Jeff

(Account Closed)

Threads
Thanks Scott. Your welcome..I didn't know about Jacks. Newbie. Will I need a new one or can I clean the old one?

You can clean the old one. Carb cleaner, once off, works fine..

If you print out a pic of the carb, it's very easy to clean.

The bolt that holds the float bowl on, once removed will drop the bowl. The inside of the bowl will be a good tell tale the condition of the carb (IE see pic below of a varnished up carb one of my customers gave me).

That float bowl gasket may or may not "survive" after the bowl is off so if you can get a new one before hand would be suggested..

Pull the float pin, float and needle. Then start cleaning all metal orifices with carb cleaner, anything around RUBBER, I use brake cleaner as it's NOT nearly as hard on the rubber. If there's an orifice, cleaner should blow thru and come out somewhere else.

For difficult cold starts, the end of the carb nearest the air filter should have an orifice or two for cold starts, pay close attention to those especially when cleaning.

If you have access to an Ultra Sonic Cleaner, that'd make cleaning much easier and more thorough. A spray thru the orifices are still needed...

A customers carb, varnished up, before Sonic cleaning:

Same carb, Sonic cleaned (No additional help from me):

PRob39

Threads
Hello,

Low compression and leaking crankcase seals could also be the culprit for hard to start.

Regards

Jeff

Thanks for the good info Jeff. Will keep it in mind.

PRob39

Threads
You can clean the old one. Carb cleaner, once off, works fine..

If you print out a pic of the carb, it's very easy to clean.

The bolt that holds the float bowl on, once removed will drop the bowl. The inside of the bowl will be a good tell tale the condition of the carb (IE see pic below of a varnished up carb one of my customers gave me).

That float bowl gasket may or may not "survive" after the bowl is off so if you can get a new one before hand would be suggested..

Pull the float pin, float and needle. Then start cleaning all metal orifices with carb cleaner, anything around RUBBER, I use brake cleaner as it's NOT nearly as hard on the rubber. If there's an orifice, cleaner should blow thru and come out somewhere else.

For difficult cold starts, the end of the carb nearest the air filter should have an orifice or two for cold starts, pay close attention to those especially when cleaning.

If you have access to an Ultra Sonic Cleaner, that'd make cleaning much easier and more thorough. A spray thru the orifices are still needed...

A customers carb, varnished up, before Sonic cleaning:

Same carb, Sonic cleaned (No additional help from me):

Wow, that carb was a mess. Hope mine isn't that bad but will find out soon.
Thanks,
Paul