Mid-range ZTR for a farm lawn?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I know a lot of mechanics and all they really get his free time and a little discount on their parts. That would be the number one reason for me to get it.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
The price on the Husqvarna is an online dealer- $3750 + $250 shipping, no sales tax. Everyone else is at $4500 on that machine. I looked at a Bobcat CRZ 48 today- pretty beefy machine. I'd like to see that Husky in person to compare. The Bobcat XRZ is identical except for ZT-3100 hydros, bigger rear tires, and a fancier seat- for an additional $1600! I think the CRZ would do just fine. There seems to be a huge price jump in all of the different brands to get into the ZT-3100 hydros, except for the Husky. The Husky has 22" rear tires as well. One thing I like better on the Bobcat is the Kawasaki engine vs. a Kohler on the Husky. Any opinions on the Kohler?
Bob-Cat makes nice machines and the CRZ is no exception. An issue with the size and weight machine you're looking at is traction and since you steer with your rear wheels, handling. I recommend that you upgrade to a more aggressive tire for your use, possibly a bar tread. I would not recommend the Zero-T tires Bob-Cat equips many if not all of their Z mowers with. I have them on my Bob-Cat and I hate them. They pack with mud and don't clear so it's like running on slicks. I'd also consider upgrading to a suspension seat or getting an after market suspension seat base.

Warring

Forum Newbie
Threads
I actually use these probiotics and know a lot of mechanics and all they really get his free time and a little discount on their parts. That would be the number one reason for me to get it.
Does Bob-Cat allow you to choose a different tire when you're ordering a mower? What you described sounds dreadful indeed.

Last edited:

MushCreek

Threads
I don't have anywhere where I would pick up mud. If I did, it's red clay around here, and you can even turn ag tires into 'slicks. I've done it with my Ford 3000.

Today I looked at Husqvarna and Kubota side-by-side. I was prepared to like the Kubota more, but I'm leaning toward the Husky. It's beefier and simpler, in a way. The Kubota is flashier, and looks like it's going fast just sitting still. The Kubota has a 22" tire on a 14" rim, whereas the Husky has a 22" tire on a 10" rim. I know from my Miata that low profile tires ride harder, as there's less sidewall to give. The Kubota looks harder to service, too, as the gas tank is right over the hydros. The salesman told me that the hydros are sealed and not serviceable (he's wrong, they're ZT-3100's). I couldn't STAND the salesman, and had to get out of there. So far, the Husqvarna seems like the clear winner over the rigs I've looked at.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
The thing is that you don't really need mud for the Zero-T tires to pack with mud; you just need moist conditions and thin turf areas. Here's a photo of them. They "bite" poorly compared to the Turfmaster tires that are common to many Zero-Turn mowers and like I mentioned earlier do not clear well once they do. They do hold well when traversing slopes sideways, but fail in all other areas in my opinion.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190109-084113.png
    Screenshot_20190109-084113.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 18

MushCreek

Threads
I pulled the trigger on the Husqvarna MZ48 today. There seems to be a price increase lurking; I was quoted $300 higher at one dealer on a 2019 vs. a 2018. I went to a local dealer who has a very good reputation, and they had the best price. I was tempted by a couple on-line dealers, but their reputation was awful based on reviews. The dealer is going to deliver it Monday (for free); now I just need to wait impatiently for the grass to start growing!

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I pulled the trigger on the Husqvarna MZ48 today. There seems to be a price increase lurking; I was quoted $300 higher at one dealer on a 2019 vs. a 2018. I went to a local dealer who has a very good reputation, and they had the best price. I was tempted by a couple on-line dealers, but their reputation was awful based on reviews. The dealer is going to deliver it Monday (for free); now I just need to wait impatiently for the grass to start growing!

I think you made a great choice.

MushCreek

Threads
The new machine was delivered last night. I took it out for a spin this afternoon to get the hang of it. Wow! Fast! It's going to take a while to get the hang of driving it slowly. I found it very easy to maneuver, and it went up my steepest hill easily. It was also fine going across the hill, something ZT's aren't supposed to do? Now I just have to wait for Spring.....
IMG_4226.JPG

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
The new machine was delivered last night. I took it out for a spin this afternoon to get the hang of it. Wow! Fast! It's going to take a while to get the hang of driving it slowly. I found it very easy to maneuver, and it went up my steepest hill easily. It was also fine going across the hill, something ZT's aren't supposed to do? Now I just have to wait for Spring.....
View attachment 42375
Congratulations. Coming down hills is where Z mowers have control issues because most of the weight is on the front wheels which you have no control of. I typically mow across slopes from top to bottom...keeps weight on the rear wheels.