John Deere 212

deriter

Threads
I am still searching and kicking tires for a good reliable mower. I ran into a guy that has some of these jd 212's. I guess these machines did not come with an hour meter so it is a little difficult for me to tell how many hours are one them.

So what are the things to look for if you would consider purchasing one of these? Are there definate things to look for? Would one of these even be a good mower to consider?

I read that these had good tough engines, but even a good tough engine wears out at some point. How should the exhust look when starting from a cold start?

Is the single cylinder instead of a twin cylinder a big deal. Probably more vibration?

I had a John Deere 425 and was amazed at how quiet they were even at full throttle. Are these jd 212's quiet when compared to other brands?

If you have time, I would appreciate your advice and opinion on the old John Deere 212.

Thank you,
deriter

deriter

Threads
Thank you Mark, but I have already read those items that you linked to. I appreciate that but was hoping to hear some input from those on this forum that have experience with this model. I value this forum and look forward to any and all input and opinions that the the members may have.

Thanks again Mark.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ran one of these for about 20 years out at my mom's house. Real mower there. Kohler 12 hp single. Had motor rebuilt at some point, everything wears out eventually. Solid mower but not near as handy or as powerful as the newer mowers with the high speed mower decks, hydrostat transmissions, nice sounding OHV twin cylinder high horsepowered engines. But built to last for sure.