16 HP Opposed Twin Question and Service Manual

agdodge4x4

Threads
What are the two numbers you need? The diameter and the length it sticks out of the motor?

My biggest issue in determining that is getting off the pulley. I have a couple of pics of it in my album here:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mSkNkpRH5f25NErb6

I have the little bolt out of the end, but I don't know if that pulley 'pulls' off or if it is somehow threaded onto the shaft as well. It looks like it just pulls off.

Anyway, I thought the shaft sizes were standard for that particular motor. I found this: http://www.smallenginesuppliers.com/html/engine-specs/briggs/Briggs_400400_401400_402400_404400.pdf

It looks like the crankshaft numbers.

The bolt pattern on the base appears to be 7 1/4" x 7 1/2" and I can built a plate to accept just about anything. I am frustrated that I cannot locate a Briggs website where I can search or see some basic engine specifications in order to find something that will work. It looks like there is nothing on the motor that is critical except the shaft length and 1" diameter crank. How do I look up that information?

Last edited:
Threads
What are the two numbers you need? The diameter and the length it sticks out of the motor?

My biggest issue in determining that is getting off the pulley. I have a couple of pics of it in my album here:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mSkNkpRH5f25NErb6

I have the little bolt out of the end, but I don't know if that pulley 'pulls' off or if it is somehow threaded onto the shaft as well. It looks like it just pulls off.

Anyway, I thought the shaft sizes were standard for that particular motor. I found this: http://www.smallenginesuppliers.com/html/engine-specs/briggs/Briggs_400400_401400_402400_404400.pdf

It looks like the crankshaft numbers.

The bolt pattern on the base appears to be 7 1/4" x 7 1/2" and I can built a plate to accept just about anything. I am frustrated that I cannot locate a Briggs website where I can search or see some basic engine specifications in order to find something that will work. It looks like there is nothing on the motor that is critical except the shaft length and 1" diameter crank. How do I look up that information?

yes the diameter and lenght ..... I see now you have a horizontal engine..... There are a lot of Briggs that will fit on there..........

agdodge4x4

Threads
yes the diameter and lenght ..... I see now you have a horizontal engine..... There are a lot of Briggs that will fit on there..........

I am getting that feeling as well, but I do not know where to begin to find which ones? I am open to used and new, but an exhaustive list of 16-25HP engines that will work on it would be great. I don't even know where to find a search that will give me what I need. I have a lot of wiggle room on this build. Looks like a 18hp Vanguard V-Twin would work.

Threads
I am getting that feeling as well, but I do not know where to begin to find which ones? I am open to used and new, but an exhaustive list of 16-25HP engines that will work on it would be great. I don't even know where to find a search that will give me what I need. I have a lot of wiggle room on this build. Looks like a 18hp Vanguard V-Twin would work.

Yep any V twin would work if it has the same crank dimensions..... Did you ever get that clutch off of there ????

That way you can measure your crank..... The mounting holes will be the same as the old engine.....

You don't have to go with the Van Guard though. You can go with a cheaper Briggs model to save a few bux, but all the Crawfish farmers over here use Van Guards on their crawfish boats.....

Might as well get the better engine is what the farmers say..... They use those boats 6 to 7 hours a day, 7 days a week for 7 to 8 months out of the year..........

Plus Tard Mon Ami ~!~!

agdodge4x4

Threads
Yep any V twin would work if it has the same crank dimensions..... Did you ever get that clutch off of there ????

That way you can measure your crank..... The mounting holes will be the same as the old engine.....

You don't have to go with the Van Guard though. You can go with a cheaper Briggs model to save a few bux, but all the Crawfish farmers over here use Van Guards on their crawfish boats.....

Might as well get the better engine is what the farmers say..... They use those boats 6 to 7 hours a day, 7 days a week for 7 to 8 months out of the year..........

Plus Tard Mon Ami ~!~!

I did not get the pulley off yet.

I still can't locate the bolt pattern information anywhere.. I have the spec sheet for the current engine in the link above that tells me the shaft dimensions. According to my PDF linked, my shaft is a 1 x 2 3/8. The Vanguard's are 1 x 2 29/32". Are these two shaft sizes considered the 'same'?

What other engines will fit on this? You said a 'cheaper' motor, what would I be looking for in Briggs that is cheaper and horizontal shaft?

Last edited:

Tinkerer200

Threads
"Yep any V twin would work if it has the same crank dimensions..."
"The mounting holes will be the same as the old engine...."

Doubt that but new holes can be drilled. There is hood clearance to be considered also as the V twin likely will stand higher than the flat horizontal. Also height from mounting frame to the center line of the crankshaft may be a factor depending on the drive set up.

"You don't have to go with the Van Guard though. You can go with a cheaper Briggs model to save a few bux,"

As for a cheaper engine, I do not recall seeing a V twin Intek in a horizontal shaft engine. I did a quick check of IPLs and did not find one and a google search did not turn up one. Vanguards run from $1,200 up.

OP, I told you in an earlier post here, OR in the other forum you posted to , how to solve your problem. I am afraid you are going to have do do some serious thinking and checking yourself.

Walt Conner

Threads
I did not get the pulley off yet.

I still can't locate the bolt pattern information anywhere.. I have the spec sheet for the current engine in the link above that tells me the shaft dimensions. According to my PDF linked, my shaft is a 1 x 2 3/8. The Vanguard's are 1 x 2 29/32". Are these two shaft sizes considered the 'same'?

What other engines will fit on this? You said a 'cheaper' motor, what would I be looking for in Briggs that is cheaper and horizontal shaft?

The Van Guards 1 X 2 29/32 are almost 3 inches long..... Not missing but 3/32 of an inch to make 3 inches...

The cheaper engine I was speaking of wasn't a V Twin like Tinker said in his post. A good 19 to 21 HP Briggs single cylinder.....

Are you sure about that shaft length ???? Looks longer to me..........