New HRX Line

dfwchief

Threads
In reading your earlier post, I was under the impression that you got $100 off of the price that they are being sold for everywhere else which was not the case. The HYA has an MSRP of $829 but sells for $729 at Home Depot and everywhere else you can get it. My apologies if I sounded rude but I was shocked to hear of a discount that Honda or their dealers otherwise never give. Either way, you got a fine mower and it should do you very well for years to come.

Okay, I see the misunderstanding now, thanks. Yeah, $729 is the typical asking price, and I didn't get anything off that except a free Toro blade which is about $14. I deleted my previous post. The only part that was relevant is my local dealer had the new models for sale on Jan 11.

Last edited:

cruzenmike

Threads
Okay, I see the misunderstanding now, thanks. Yeah, $729 is the typical asking price, and I didn't get anything off that except a free Toro blade which is about $14. I deleted my previous post. The only part that was relevant is my local dealer had the new models for sale on Jan 11.

Your dealer obviously got theirs in early, but then again, I am in Michigan so we are just now seeing them on shelves. As for the mower, I just looked at one today in the store and it looks really nice. I had asked the question for myself a couple of weeks back if I should get the new HRX or if I should go with the Toro Timemaster. I have about an acre of grass to mow and although the Timemaster would save me time, I still feel as if the HRX is the superior machine based on overall build quality and the engine power and reliability. The only thing that is holding me back now is the Toro Super Recycler with the Honda engine. It would be a bit under-powered compared to the HRX, but it looks to be well built and leaves a good cut. Plus I also like the ability to side discharge instead of rear discharge on the Toro.

dfwchief

Threads
I've had two Super Recyclers. First was a Briggs engine, 2nd was a Toro engine. Both excellent mowers. I also mowed a 1-acre yard with the first one, and the transmission gears wore out after 3 years. They wouldn't cover it under warranty, calling it excessive wear. This is my 2nd HRX217HYA. I prefer the Toro Personal Pace to the Honda lever, and the Toros roll easier when the drive isn't engaged. I go back and forth just for the variety. One annoyance on the Toros is the ends of the bag frame are bent outwards to attach to the mower. They snag and tear a trash bag when emptying. The Honda bends inwards, which seems like a no-brainer. If you aren't bagging much, that won't matter.

Sparkland

Threads
Home Depot recently had big discounts on the Toro Super Recyclers from $459 down to $269. That was a great discount if you wanted a Toro. I held off, waiting for the new Honda HRX with the 200 cc engine.

gotomow

Threads
I've had two Super Recyclers. First was a Briggs engine, 2nd was a Toro engine. Both excellent mowers. I also mowed a 1-acre yard with the first one, and the transmission gears wore out after 3 years. They wouldn't cover it under warranty, calling it excessive wear. This is my 2nd HRX217HYA. I prefer the Toro Personal Pace to the Honda lever, and the Toros roll easier when the drive isn't engaged. I go back and forth just for the variety. One annoyance on the Toros is the ends of the bag frame are bent outwards to attach to the mower. They snag and tear a trash bag when emptying. The Honda bends inwards, which seems like a no-brainer. If you aren't bagging much, that won't matter.

I agree that the Toros do roll easier. If you have to pull back on your mower often and you are considering any Honda make sure that you try pulling back on one, (or more) to see if it will bother you. Definitely more effort required with the Honda's. Also as the rear drive shaft ages on the Honda's that pull back effort will increase.

Peen

Threads
Just got my new HRX217HYA. Sure beats my old Toro Recycler I got for free! Hour meter installed from box. Cut very well considering the grass was wet, could not wait!

Attachments

• IMG_0740.jpg
    IMG_0740.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 21

Sparkland

Threads
Just got my new HRX217HYA. Sure beats my old Toro Recycler I got for free! Hour meter installed from box. Cut very well considering the grass was wet, could not wait!

That looks great!! What do you mean "hour meter installed from box"? Did you purchase a particular brand of hour meter?

Peen

Threads
That looks great!! What do you mean "hour meter installed from box"? Did you purchase a particular brand of hour meter?

I meant to say hour meter installed when I took it out of the box. I put hour meters on everything. :biggrin:

Put the good ones on motorcycles, but just did a cheap on from Amazon.

Peen

Threads
Question if someone might know the answer. Manual maximum governed speed of 3,100 +0/-150 rpm. Is this with blade engaged or disengaged? Guessing disengaged, but manual does not specify. I have 4" tall fescue and need all the vacuum I can get.

dfwchief

Threads
Question if someone might know the answer. Manual maximum governed speed of 3,100 +0/-150 rpm. Is this with blade engaged or disengaged? Guessing disengaged, but manual does not specify. I have 4" tall fescue and need all the vacuum I can get.

Seems like it would be with the blade engaged. There are models without the blade brake, so the blade is always spinning, and they don't spec a different RPM on those.