New HRX Line

stygz

Threads
I too, was waiting for that extra year of warranty. I already sold my previous HRX on Craigslist, so I am going to be forced to pull the trigger in the next couple of weeks. With all places charging sales tax now, it does not really pay to purchase online. The local dealer will provide superior sales and service. I will be purchasing from Home Depot also, because my local Honda dealer is not offering even a dime of the new machine.

I called a dealer and found they could not match or were not even wanting to work on price.

Sparkland

Threads
I called a dealer and found they could not match or were not even wanting to work on price.

That's been my experience exactly. The Honda dealer network is doing themselves no favors. Fewer and fewer outdoor equipment dealers are even carrying the Honda line. Service for Honda power equipment is difficult to find.

dfwchief

Threads

I wonder if I just got lucky, or maybe it was a sale. I got the HYA for $100 off at a Dallas area dealer that sells several brands.

cruzenmike

Threads
I wonder if I just got lucky, or maybe it was a sale. I got the HYA for $100 off at a Dallas area dealer that sells several brands.

I mean no offense, but are you sure you have the 2019 model? I find it highly unlikely that the brand new model was $100 off, and that in early January they had the new model available. My local dealer just got them in two weeks ago.

Sparkland

Threads
The 200 cc engine is the best way to identify the 2019 model year of this new HRX, for those inquiring minds. Previously, they were outfitted with a 190 cc engine. The highest discount on the 2019 that I could find was $50.

Sparkland

Threads
I received a call back from my local Honda dealer, $899 for the model I want with electric start - NO DEAL!

Question: If I purchase from a dealer on the in the Central US, will I need to do anything to the Honda mower to use it at the 5,000 ft altitude here in Denver?

Padroo

Threads
Here is what Briggs and Stratton say about high altitude.

Fuel Recommendation for High Altitude Climates

At altitudes over 5,000 feet (1524 meters), a minimum 85 octane / 85 AKI (89 RON) gasoline is acceptable. To remain emissions compliant, high altitude adjustment is required. Operation without this adjustment will cause decreased performance, increased fuel consumption, and increased emissions.

Operation of the engine at altitudes below 2,500 feet (762 meters) with the high altitude kit is not recommended.

https://www.briggsandstratton.com/eu/en_gb/support/faqs/browse/fuel-recommendations.html

Honda.

https://blog.hondalawnparts.com/modifying-your-honda-engine-for-high-altitude-use/

The pilot jet, which provides fuel when the engine is idling, can be adjusted by screwing it into or out of the carburetor body. The main jet, which provides fuel when the engine is running at speed, needs to be replaced with a smaller jet.

What size of main jet do you need? Fortunately, Honda has already figured that out for you and offers carburetor jet kits designed for specific altitude ranges. For most engines, there are three jet options: one for sea level, one for elevations starting at 5,000 to 6,000 feet and one for elevations above 7,500 to 10,000 feet.

Sparkland

Threads
Thank you for the concise answer. Final question. If I purchase the unit from Home Depot in Denver, will it already be set up for high altitude operation?

Padroo

Threads
You should ask them to make sure, I would call them or email them.

cruzenmike

Threads
I don't know the policy about publishing business names here, so for anyone who just can't believe things are different from city to city across this huge country, search for a lawn equipment dealer in Richardson, TX (suburb of Dallas). Call them and see if they can tell you when they started carrying the 2019 Honda line. I got my HYA there January 11, with the 200cc engine, meaning a 2019 model, and paid $729. I got a free blade for my Toro as part of the deal. I don't know if they'll quote you a price over the phone, but they regularly have $100 off the higher-end Hondas. You can find some examples on their website, though the HRX217 isn't on the site. I don't think they ship. There's another place just up the road in Plano. It's a very competitive market.

If you can't get deals like that where you live, or your local dealer doesn't get the new models as soon as they're available, then you have my sympathies, but there's no reason to think things are the same everywhere.

In reading your earlier post, I was under the impression that you got $100 off of the price that they are being sold for everywhere else which was not the case. The HYA has an MSRP of $829 but sells for $729 at Home Depot and everywhere else you can get it. My apologies if I sounded rude but I was shocked to hear of a discount that Honda or their dealers otherwise never give. Either way, you got a fine mower and it should do you very well for years to come.