New HRX Line

LMAN007

Threads
I'm really surprised on how low on power the GCV200 is on new HRX.

I have brand new Husqvarna HU725AWDHQ, old HRR216, and old Toro with Briggs. Was only cutting .5 inch of lawn mulching only partially damp grass and it was struggling even at 3200RPM! Tried out Husqvarna at 2800 RPM and it had no issues. Same with old Toro and even old Honda with 160cc. Was thinking maybe it was because of the dual blade, but even the old Honda did ok!

New Honda has 3hrs on it (hour meter). Blades are new of course, no dings. Even touched up to make sure.

Anyone else notice anything similar with there new GCV200 HRX?

Mine (HRX2176VKA with the GCV200)) has all the power I could ask for, and more! Good luck.

gotomow

Threads
I was in Home Depot yesterday and they had a HRX217vka on the floor. I engaged the select drive and pushed the mower forward then I released the select drive and continued to move mower forward about a foot or so.
With the select drive handle still disengaged I pulled the mower BACKWARD, with very little resistance. I do not see a problem with pulling the mower backwards as some people have said.:thumbsup:

Yes the Honda will backup, however, as compared to other mowers it is significantly harder to pull back on. I compared the Honda against Husqvarna, Toro, Cub Cadet, Troy Bilt and Craftsman. The Honda was consistently the hardest to pull back on. I estimated the force required to be 2-3 times harder. Also, if the select drive is not adjusted correctly it will be easier to pull back on. I can adjust some of that out of my machine but then it won't climb my slopes. Also due to it's horrible design with bushings instead of bearings to support the drive shaft and having the transmission gears turning while backing up the bushings wear and over time it gets harder and harder to pull back on.

LMAN007

Threads
It is now the middle of May and the best discount on the HRX217VKA is $100, from $699 to $599. Both Amazon which gets this mower from Max Tool and Home Depot have this price.

UPDATE to my above memo : I just bought my HRX2176VKA directly from Max Tool for $545.45 which included free shipping and no tax.

LMAN007

Threads
Yes, they charged me sales tax. They are a Honda dealer.

That's to bad about the sales tax. I got mine online and I did not have to pay sales tax and I got free shipping, total price was $545.45

LMAN007

Threads
Good luck with your new honda, I am in the process of buying the exact same model as you bought. Best price so far is$589, NO tax, and free delivery.

I found another online store and I bought my HRX2176vka from them, free shipping by Fed Ex, NO tax total $545.45

LMAN007

Threads
Yes the Honda will backup, however, as compared to other mowers it is significantly harder to pull back on. I compared the Honda against Husqvarna, Toro, Cub Cadet, Troy Bilt and Craftsman. The Honda was consistently the hardest to pull back on. I estimated the force required to be 2-3 times harder. Also, if the select drive is not adjusted correctly it will be easier to pull back on. I can adjust some of that out of my machine but then it won't climb my slopes. Also due to it's horrible design with bushings instead of bearings to support the drive shaft and having the transmission gears turning while backing up the bushings wear and over time it gets harder and harder to pull back on.

I don't know about other mowers but the HRX that I pulled backwards was very easy to do with very little resistance. I also own a Husky HU775H and I found that the Husky was harder to pull backwards then the Honda. Go figure.:confused2:

PRob39

Threads
Difficult Starting - Resolved!

My new HRX217VKA was taking 4 hefty pulls to start. Autochoke checked OK. When I bought it in April I thought I would treat it to some non-ethanol, 91 octane gas from the local Casey's. Big mistake!
Have now switched to 87 octane Shell E10 and it starts on the first pull. My guess is that the E0 gas was old when I bought it, perhaps even in the underground tank all winter. Moral of the story - if you buy E0 make sure it is fresh.

HurstGN

Threads
That's an interesting observation. We were just talking about switching fuel last night. I was going to buy a can of the TruFuel from the home center when she reminded me of a gas station we found on the list of stations that can provide pure fuel without ethanol. I was leaning towards the non-ethanol gas, but now I'm thinking I may try the TruFuel from the home center. Decisions, decisions.