New HRX Line

PRob39

Threads
I'm really surprised on how low on power the GCV200 is on new HRX.

I have brand new Husqvarna HU725AWDHQ, old HRR216, and old Toro with Briggs. Was only cutting .5 inch of lawn mulching only partially damp grass and it was struggling even at 3200RPM! Tried out Husqvarna at 2800 RPM and it had no issues. Same with old Toro and even old Honda with 160cc. Was thinking maybe it was because of the dual blade, but even the old Honda did ok!

New Honda has 3hrs on it (hour meter). Blades are new of course, no dings. Even touched up to make sure.

Anyone else notice anything similar with there new GCV200 HRX?

I have six hours on my new HRX GCV200 and I do have a number of things that I'm not crazy about but power is not one of them. It plows through high grass like it's not even there, even in mulch mode. I'm not crazy about the weight (compared to my old cast aluminum lawnboy) nor am I a big fan of the drive system. It seems to drag me around and must be constantly feathered to maintain a constant speed. The lawnboy had a true 3 speed transmission and when you put it in a gear that was the speed you got. No slipping belt. Since I always mulch I do get a fair amount of buildup under the deck buy no worse than the lawnboy. I just hose it out periodically. I did notice today that the bagging chute was packed full of grass. Hadn't opened that hatch before. Another thing to keep cleaned out that I didn't have to worry about previously. I'm adapting to the Honda slowly and perhaps I'll love it someday. OH, one last thing, it doesn't usually start on the first pull. That may have more to do with my being 79 years old than any fault with the mower:) I do miss my 2-cycle lawnboy. If the still made them I would have bought another.

LMAN007

Threads
If you are intending on purchasing an HRX, you can either drive to the closest Honda dealer and buy from them at suggested retail and have a relationship with them if the mower ever needs service or repairs. The only advantage to the online retailer is possibly having it shipped to you for free? You might also be able to get promotional financing through Home Depot and alike, but when it comes to warranty work it will still need to go somewhere else.

FYI - Honda usually does their extended warranty promotion in the spring, so purchase when they are offering the additional year of coverage for homeowners. And to be honest, I don't think you would have an issue with it in that time-frame anyway. I cut a quarter of an acre, 1-2x a week, April through October for 8 years with mine with ZERO problems.

There is one more advantage of buying from a online retailer that you did not mention, NO TAX. I bought mine that way and saved over 100 dollars from my "friendly" Honda dealership

LMAN007

Threads
The 200 cc engine is the best way to identify the 2019 model year of this new HRX, for those inquiring minds. Previously, they were outfitted with a 190 cc engine. The highest discount on the 2019 that I could find was $50.

I got my new hrx2176vka with the 200cc engine for $545.45 which included FREE shipping and NO tax.

LMAN007

Threads
Good luck with your new honda, I am in the process of buying the exact same model as you bought. Best price so far is$589, NO tax, and free delivery.
UPDATE , found better price $545.45 which includes free shipping and NO tax.

jp1961

Threads
I think some states are clamping down on online purchases and no sales tax,,,,stay tuned.

Regards

Jeff

PRob39

Threads
In Illinois, if the online merchant doesn't charge tax, you are supposed to pay at income tax time. Don't know how many people actually do that....

deckeda

Threads
... It uses a slipping belt for the drive and before I bought it I thought that doesn't sound like it would work right but it's a Honda. I still have to muscle it around on the hillside and being heavier than the old Troy Built I wish I would have gotten another light push mower with a Honda motor.

So sell it and get a used Honda with the hydrostatic transmission, any year, any generation. You'll make money on the deal since yours is newer, and your "new" mower will climb up any hill without breaking a sweat.

I'm partial to the HR215 "Masters" models but the larger 160cc or 190cc models are also OK.

tadawson

Threads
Just about all brands of snow blowers have used a slipping belt as a drive clutch for years, and they are far heavier, and I would wager get a lot more clutch use, and hold up fine. Myself, I'm not sure I'd be that worried . . .

LMAN007

Threads
I mean no offense, but are you sure you have the 2019 model? I find it highly unlikely that the brand new model was $100 off, and that in early January they had the new model available. My local dealer just got them in two weeks ago.
MSRP on the HRX2176VKA is $699, most places, including Home Depot have them for $599. I bought mine from a online dealer for $545.45 which included FREE shipping and NO tax. Of course this is now the end of May, so you
could get a better deal then if you bought earlier in the year. Just got mine a few days ago, and I love it! :licking::licking:

LMAN007

Threads
I do not recall my 2nd gen HRX being that difficult to pull backwards. Yes, there was always some resistance when rolling, with that clicking sounds when not running, but I didn't feel that it was difficult. I doubt that something in the new drive system (Select Drive) would make it any more difficult to push/pull so it might just be a matter of personal preference?

I was in Home Depot yesterday and they had a HRX217vka on the floor. I engaged the select drive and pushed the mower forward then I released the select drive and continued to move mower forward about a foot or so.
With the select drive handle still disengaged I pulled the mower BACKWARD, with very little resistance. I do not see a problem with pulling the mower backwards as some people have said.:thumbsup: