New HRX Line

stygz

Threads
d

How long have they been using bushings on the HRX? The bad news is - I already sold my HRX217HYA on Craigslist last month.

I would have to double check but the HRX still uses bearings. I do know the Toro is bushings.

cruzenmike

Threads
I would have to double check but the HRX still uses bearings. I do know the Toro is bushings.

Per Honda's website "Ball bearings in all four wheels offer better maneuverability, smoother drive, and increased durability." Any resistance when pulling back will either be from friction (wheels to ground) or from the transmission which has some slight adjust-ability via the cable.

gotomow

Threads
The resistance is caused by the DRIVESHAFT BUSH part #44327-VE2-801 x (4). Over time what can occur is that a buildup of rust and debris on the driveshaft causes a limited amount of clearance between the shaft and the bushes. Bearings instead of bushings to support the driveshaft would greatly reduce the amount of resistance when pulling back on the mower. Honda's design allows too much drag on the driveshaft when pulling back on the mower because in reality the driveshaft spins in reverse when you pull back on the mower. Tip up your mower and spin the wheels backward and take a look for yourself.

gotomow

Threads
And yes while it is possible to adjust the drive cable to reduce some of the resistance. In my case where I have hills, there is a very fine line of adjustment between reducing the friction and being able to climb hills especially when I am bagging. My 20 year old Craftsman's drive train was light years ahead of the HRX Honda. Too bad the Craftsman crapped out. As far as cut quality and bagging and reliability the Honda is awesome.

gotomow

Threads
My Craftsman used a ratchet and pawl gear drive train setup similar to a sprag clutch. When you pulled back on the mower this eliminated any drag from the driveshaft and gearbox (transmission) for very little resistance when backing up. Too bad Honda engineers could not come up with a better solution.

cruzenmike

Threads
The resistance is caused by the DRIVESHAFT BUSH part #44327-VE2-801 x (4). Over time what can occur is that a buildup of rust and debris on the driveshaft causes a limited amount of clearance between the shaft and the bushes. Bearings instead of bushings to support the driveshaft would greatly reduce the amount of resistance when pulling back on the mower. Honda's design allows too much drag on the driveshaft when pulling back on the mower because in reality the driveshaft spins in reverse when you pull back on the mower. Tip up your mower and spin the wheels backward and take a look for yourself.

I see that in the exploded view of the wheels. I put seven years into my last HRX and do not believe I had an issue with them. I mowed sometimes twice a week, bagged almost the entire time and did mow on some slight slopes. Even then, the bushings are quite cheap and at least from the drawings look to be an easy repair. It's like the bushings on the front of the Cub Cadet LT mowers; cheap part, easy fix, just a shame you even need to do it.

gotomow

Threads
This video covers the HHR216 but the issue is identical to what I experienced. I see the bushings, the metal used in construction of the shaft and the fact that the transmission is engaged when backing up as the major issues in this problem. IMHO poor design and execution on Honda's part.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubnpTirPBu4

Peen

Threads
I'm really surprised on how low on power the GCV200 is on new HRX.

I have brand new Husqvarna HU725AWDHQ, old HRR216, and old Toro with Briggs. Was only cutting .5 inch of lawn mulching only partially damp grass and it was struggling even at 3200RPM! Tried out Husqvarna at 2800 RPM and it had no issues. Same with old Toro and even old Honda with 160cc. Was thinking maybe it was because of the dual blade, but even the old Honda did ok!

New Honda has 3hrs on it (hour meter). Blades are new of course, no dings. Even touched up to make sure.

Anyone else notice anything similar with there new GCV200 HRX?

Sparkland

Threads
Picked up my new HRX217HZA from my local Honda dealer today. They had just gotten them in stock. Peak Honda in Littleton, CO offered the standard $50 discount off MSRP. It fit perfectly in the bed of my 2017 Honda Ridgeline.

trekgod3

Threads
I'm really surprised on how low on power the GCV200 is on new HRX.

I have brand new Husqvarna HU725AWDHQ, old HRR216, and old Toro with Briggs. Was only cutting .5 inch of lawn mulching only partially damp grass and it was struggling even at 3200RPM! Tried out Husqvarna at 2800 RPM and it had no issues. Same with old Toro and even old Honda with 160cc. Was thinking maybe it was because of the dual blade, but even the old Honda did ok!

New Honda has 3hrs on it (hour meter). Blades are new of course, no dings. Even touched up to make sure.

Anyone else notice anything similar with there new GCV200 HRX?

No, mine has plenty of power and never seems to struggle. I just cut my mom's yard. Grass was pretty tall and a little damp. No issues at all . More than enough power .