New HRX Line

dfwchief

Threads
This new one I got doesn't have two holes in the linkage, just one.

This earlier message is too old for me to edit it, but I want to make a correction - my HRX217K6HYA DOES have two holes in the linkage, just like all the rest. I have no idea how I missed that. I also don't know why I bought it with 3 months to go before there will be any grass to mow. :smile:

dfwchief

Threads
I checked my HYA today. With the blade disengaged, 3,100 RPM. With the blade engaged, 3,090 RPM. This is with the spring in the "front" hole. In the other hole, it dropped to 2,650 RPM with the blade disengaged.

Sparkland

Threads
I went to look at the new HRX line at Ace Hardware yesterday. I was disappointed that they won't be carrying the electric start model HRX. The new model looks great. They don't seem to be in stock anywhere as of yet. I am steering clear of certain online retailers because their reputation is less than stellar. I don't even have a local Honda dealer near me. I will probably hold out until the beginning of March, hoping for the extra year of warranty from Honda.

cruzenmike

Threads
I went to look at the new HRX line at Ace Hardware yesterday. I was disappointed that they won't be carrying the electric start model HRX. The new model looks great. They don't seem to be in stock anywhere as of yet. I am steering clear of certain online retailers because their reputation is less than stellar. I don't even have a local Honda dealer near me. I will probably hold out until the beginning of March, hoping for the extra year of warranty from Honda.

If you are intending on purchasing an HRX, you can either drive to the closest Honda dealer and buy from them at suggested retail and have a relationship with them if the mower ever needs service or repairs. The only advantage to the online retailer is possibly having it shipped to you for free? You might also be able to get promotional financing through Home Depot and alike, but when it comes to warranty work it will still need to go somewhere else.

FYI - Honda usually does their extended warranty promotion in the spring, so purchase when they are offering the additional year of coverage for homeowners. And to be honest, I don't think you would have an issue with it in that time-frame anyway. I cut a quarter of an acre, 1-2x a week, April through October for 8 years with mine with ZERO problems.

dfwchief

Threads
I bought from a local dealer in Dallas who had all the models early January. It was $100 off the "list price".
l like the idea of buying local but have sometimes bought online to save the sales tax. It's easier in a big city, because you'll have a good selection and good prices.
In a smaller area that's not always the case.

I did some mowing today which was just trimming the occasional weed and picking up leaves. One thing I noticed is it takes significant effort to push or pull with the drive disengaged. Definitely more than the Toro it replaced. Adjusted properly and greased, the Toro rolled easily forward or back. The Honda has some noticeable resistance. It's not the weight, either. It's resistance in the drive mechanism even though it's not engaged.

Last edited:

trekgod3

Threads
I bought from a local dealer in Dallas who had all the models early January. It was $100 off the "list price".
l like the idea of buying local but have sometimes bought online to save the sales tax. It's easier in a big city, because you'll have a good selection and good prices.
In a smaller area that's not always the case.

I did some mowing today which was just trimming the occasional weed and picking up leaves. One thing I noticed is it takes significant effort to push or pull with the drive disengaged. Definitely more than the Toro it replaced. Adjusted properly and greased, the Toro rolled easily forward or back. The Honda has some noticeable resistance. It's not the weight, either. It's resistance in the drive mechanism even though it's not engaged.

Mine's the same. I figured it was normal. I've never owned a self propelled before. And it does weigh like 90+ pounds,too .

dfwchief

Threads
Mine's the same. I figured it was normal. I've never owned a self propelled before. And it does weigh like 90+ pounds,too .

Thanks, at least I know it's typical. My Toro was 94 pounds, so no light-weight. It might loosen up a little over time. There's probably an adjustment. Cable tension on the Toro made a lot of difference. It was just belt tension on a pulley. The Honda is hydrostatic, so no belt/pulley, but I think the drag is more a function of how the drive engages with the wheels. Ideally the wheels should totally disengage, it seems to me.

stygz

Threads
Placed an order for a HRX VYA yesterday from Home Depot. SHould be here middle of the week. I held out to see if march 1st would offer a 1 year extra warranty but not such luck. Grasss is greening up here in Georgia and my old HRX found a new home a couple months back.

cruzenmike

Threads
Placed an order for a HRX VYA yesterday from Home Depot. SHould be here middle of the week. I held out to see if march 1st would offer a 1 year extra warranty but not such luck. Grasss is greening up here in Georgia and my old HRX found a new home a couple months back.

Congrats. Thankfully here in Michigan we have a month or so before cutting is even a possibility so I am waiting for that warranty. I have my Exmark if I really need it, but I am going to try to maintain my entire property with the HRX and see how it goes. At the very least I will be mowing just my back yard which will allow me to mulch and bag which my Exmark is not set up for at this moment. I also have some areas that I refuse to take the Exmark due to nails and other things in the lawn from burning pallets and whatnot that the HRX will work perfectly for as well as doing some stuff in tight spaces.

Sparkland

Threads

I too, was waiting for that extra year of warranty. I already sold my previous HRX on Craigslist, so I am going to be forced to pull the trigger in the next couple of weeks. With all places charging sales tax now, it does not really pay to purchase online. The local dealer will provide superior sales and service. I will be purchasing from Home Depot also, because my local Honda dealer is not offering even a dime off the new machine.

Last edited: