New HRX Line

dfwchief

Threads
I bought the HRX217HYA yesterday with the new GCV200 engine. I'm in Dallas. $729 plus tax. It's replacing a Toro SuperRecycler 20383 (Toro branded engine). I liked the Toro, especially the Personal Pace. I just like to get something different every 2 or 3 years. I previously had the earlier version of the same Honda. Grass is all dormant here so I can't do any mowing. The engine starts and runs smoothly. It's definitely a quieter engine and smoother than the Toro, which was not overly loud or rough. Other than that I can't offer much until the grass starts growing again. I'm curious to see how the new engine performs when the grass gets thick.

dfwchief

Threads
Still haven't used it due to weather and no grass, but here's my favorite thing so far: The gas filler neck is 2.5 inches in diameter. That makes it much easier to fill. You can easily see the gas level rising, and when it reaches the neck, the fill rate doesn't increase as rapidly, so you can easily stop before over-filling. Doesn't sound like much, but in practice it's a very nice improvement.

stygz

Threads
I just sold my old HRX two nights ago. Waiting until beginning of March to purchase a new HRX.

Sparkland

Threads
I just sold my old HRX two nights ago. Waiting until beginning of March to purchase a new HRX.

Great move. I might do the same thing. I was hoping that Honda would redesign the chute a little so the clippings would not accumulate at the rear of the mower or sneak past the chute when mulching. I would be interested to know if the new HRX is still made of high quality materials.

Last edited:

cruzenmike

Threads
Great move. I might do the same thing. I was hoping that Honda would redesign the chute a little so the clippings would not accumulate at the rear of the mower or sneak past the chute when mulching. I would be interested to know if the new HRX is still made of high quality materials.

If I am correct, the HRX may have only changed engines for this generation. The deck, wheels, handles, bag and transmission should all be the same as the previous model(s). Since both the deck and chute are molded of plastic, there is always the chance of them not mating up just right. Also, the discharge chute has an adjustment that may correct the clippings leaking past. I have always believed the HRX line to very well built and although they are expensive compared to many other models on the market you are certainly paying for something that can last a long time if properly maintained. Also, the cut quality on the HRX is very good. I have regretted selling my HRX2172VKA and have been considering getting one of the new models. My only hesitation with getting anything newer is that I do not care much for the new select drive system. I was actually a big fan of the smart drive. In fact, I have been in communication with someone selling a HRX2174VKA which is the last of the smart drive models within the HRX line.

Anyway, I look forward to reading reviews from those with the new model.

Sparkland

Threads
If I am correct, the HRX may have only changed engines for this generation. The deck, wheels, handles, bag and transmission should all be the same as the previous model(s). Since both the deck and chute are molded of plastic, there is always the chance of them not mating up just right. Also, the discharge chute has an adjustment that may correct the clippings leaking past. I have always believed the HRX line to very well built and although they are expensive compared to many other models on the market you are certainly paying for something that can last a long time if properly maintained. Also, the cut quality on the HRX is very good. I have regretted selling my HRX2172VKA and have been considering getting one of the new models. My only hesitation with getting anything newer is that I do not care much for the new select drive system. I was actually a big fan of the smart drive. In fact, I have been in communication with someone selling a HRX2174VKA which is the last of the smart drive models within the HRX line.

Anyway, I look forward to reading reviews from those with the new model.

I currently have the HRX217K5HYA with the hydrostatic cruise control. I like it pretty well. I have only had it one year and it is still under warranty for 4 more years. I want to upgrade to the 200cc engine and get the electric start, since my shoulder has been giving me a few problems as of late. I purchased this mower off Craigslist last year for $600, so I won't lose too much money if I can sell it for around $375-400.

Last edited:

trekgod3

Threads
I really like my new 200cc HRX so far , I live in south Florida so I cut the grass year round even in winter. Plenty of power, no problems stalling while cutting tall grass. The self propel system works nicely and is easy to adjust while mowing. I keep the knob turned down pretty low and it keeps me moving at a good pace. Just for fun I cranked it all the way up and it took off almost making me run behind it. It's heavier than my old mower but I can still lift it into the bed of my pickup. I haven't used the bag or clip director system as I just keep it set to mulch all the time. I've installed deck guards and an hour meter / tachometer.

cruzenmike

Threads
Most small engines are rated (HP) at 3,600 rpm yet not recommended to ever run at that speed. In fact, the process of determining HP per whatever spec/standard the manufacturer chooses to comply with requires the engine speed to be manipulated to 3,600 rpm so that the engines may be given a fair comparison.

I know that my HRX arrived with an engine speed of 2,800 rpm which I then adjusted to around 3,100 rpm by bending the tang. Other than the risk of revving your engine into Oblivion, blade tip speed has to be limited for safety reasons. I believe that the HRX, regardless of blade tip speed, will see no appreciable improvement in cut quality beyond 3,100 rpm anyway; there are so many other factors that play into cut quality as it is.

On a side note, my 18hp Vanguard is set from the factory at 3,650 +/- 50. If I don't have the engine speed close to that the charging system does not work properly and the PTO clutch caused too much bog when engaged.

As always you should reach out to the manufacturer with your exact model and serial number to determine what the engine speed should be set at.