500 hour service question

Grouse09

Threads
Hi everyone. Has anyone got a 500 hour service done on their Grasshopper? What should I expect to be done? What extra service should I request? How much did it cost? Thanks.

I have a 2010 723K with 498 hours. Its in great shape. Dealer says bring it in in March when their shop is slow. Love the dealer. Just want to get educated on what to expect.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Here's what I would expect, based on an air cooled gas engine:
Engine: Oil & filter change, clean cooling fins, new spark plugs, new air filter, new fuel filter.

Drive system: Fluid & filter change, cleaning of fans and cooling fins if it has an oil cooler.

Mower: Check and replace if necessary belts, blades and spindle/idler bearings.

Other: Lube all grease fittings; Grasshoppers have more than your average mower. Wash if needed.

That's just a generic description.

Grouse09

Threads
CPurvis, thanks. I do all of the filter, fluid, lube servicing myself. The “splitting the hydro” tasks (from the owners manual) is a dealer-only task.

I am also curious if they have a technical way to “check bearings and spindles” orher than what I do. Which is visual and grease every 10 hours.

Any ballpark cost of the 500 hour service of predominantly servicing the hydros and bearing/spindle inspection?

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
CPurvis, thanks. I do all of the filter, fluid, lube servicing myself. The “splitting the hydro” tasks (from the owners manual) is a dealer-only task.

I am also curious if they have a technical way to “check bearings and spindles” orher than what I do. Which is visual and grease every 10 hours.

Any ballpark cost of the 500 hour service of predominantly servicing the hydros and bearing/spindle inspection?

I don't know of any technical way to check bearings and spindles. It's basically just a matter of removing any load on them, checking for endplay and spinning to check for bearing roughness. It sounds like you take pretty good care of things so I wouldn't pay anybody to do this.

I do not have a cost estimate since I do all my own work. Can't help with cost on 'splitting the hyros' either as I have never done that.

I did forget one thing on the engine--check the valve lash. That certainly should be done if it hasn't already been done.

Threads
Hi everyone. Has anyone got a 500 hour service done on their Grasshopper? What should I expect to be done? What extra service should I request? How much did it cost? Thanks.

I have a 2010 723K with 498 hours. Its in great shape. Dealer says bring it in in March when their shop is slow. Love the dealer. Just want to get educated on what to expect.

Bring at least 200.00 bux with you............ I charged one of my regulars on his spring service 180.00......... That included the Kawi oil and filter, air filters, greased everything , sharpened blades, changed or added fuel filter and ADDED a fuel shut off valve........

Just the oil, parts and filters was 100.00 or close to it.... Oh and new plugs also..... His mower is still under warranty so that's why the Kawi oil....

Plus Tard Mon Ami ~!~!

Grouse09

Threads
Thanks guys. I made a condensed list of things for him to do, that I would not attempt, based on your input. In late March I will update this thread and let everyone know how it went.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Grasshopper should have a scheduled service list.
As for the spindles, bearings down here are $ 40 each spindle to replace ( includes labour )
A new shaft is $ 75 and a new housing is over $ 100 for parts alone.
Thus new spindle bearings are a worthwhile investment.
A collapsed bearing can trash the shaft, housing, blade, belt & even the deck so running them till they fail is not a good idea

Grouse09

Threads
Thanks Bert. I only have the operator’s manual and it only lists the hydraulic transmission filter and fluid replacement. The spindles, bearings and belts all seem to be quiet and in good shape as far as I can tell, but I will have no problem paying for a second set of eyes on those.

I will bring up the engine valve lash check as well.

Will update you all when I take it in (March 2019).