cub cadet branded lawn boy info

2smoked

Threads
I have been keeping my eye out there for one of those mowers. I have only seen one and it was in terrible condition and the owner wanted a premium for it. Good to hear that you got it going. Find someone who can help you get a photo uploaded so we can see it. I’ve got kids who tutored me on how to do those things.

viperv10

Threads
129.jpg130.jpg131.jpg

My daughter helped me get these pictures uploaded.
I got it running good. I don't know how well it will run under a load. I had to take off the governor system off to change the top seal. I think I got it back on right but I'm not sure.
Jerry

Lawnboy77

Threads
Looks really good! Appears to have been well cared for, just used, but not abused. The Cub Cadet Lawnboys are one of my favorites. The color and graphics are just awesome. I'll bet you did just fine getting that governor assembled correctly. Just make sure that you didn't get the throttle over centered (rotated fully clockwise 12 to 1 oclock position) in getting it back together. When facing the lever it should be oriented to the 10 o'clock position, and it should have spring tension to push it back to that spot if manually moved. If over centered the speed can get out of control real quick. It will start at 10 o'clock and once it comes up to speed it should move down to the 8 o'clock pos, and when a load is applied it could be anywhere in between 8 and 10 depending on the amount of the load.

Last edited:

2smoked

Threads
Viperv, that mower is in pretty good shape. Looks nice! I would love to find one of those in that condition. I’m sure you will get it sorted out and cleaned up. Thanks for getting the photos up. They gave me something nice to look at while I’m cooped up during a blizzard. Hoping we get an early spring.

viperv10

Threads
Hey 2smoked, I see that you have a R7070. I also have a 1980 model. It was in pretty rough shape when I got it. The pull rope kept flying back out of my hand when trying to start it. I found that the flywheel key was partially sheared and bent. I honed it out and put new rings in it and cleaned everything out and it is probably the smoothest running lawn boy I have. Its my favorite trim mower. Most of the decals are worn off and it only has 3 yellow wheels but she runs like a new one. Not bad for being almost 40 years old. Take care.
Jerry

2smoked

Threads
Hey 2smoked, I see that you have a R7070. I also have a 1980 model. It was in pretty rough shape when I got it. The pull rope kept flying back out of my hand when trying to start it. I found that the flywheel key was partially sheared and bent. I honed it out and put new rings in it and cleaned everything out and it is probably the smoothest running lawn boy I have. Its my favorite trim mower. Most of the decals are worn off and it only has 3 yellow wheels but she runs like a new one. Not bad for being almost 40 years old. Take care.
Jerry

It’s interesting that you mention the smoothness of your R7070. Mine is also the smoothest in my collection which makes it a pleasure to use. I am also a fan of its early F engine. Very durable too. Mine also has 3 original yellow wheels, but I carefully painted the one that was white and the color match isn’t too shabby. Last year I found a free one that was of the self-propelled variation. The engine was toast but I now I have some yellow and black parts including the yellow wheels. Never was a fan of any of Lawn Boy’s self-propelled models anyway.