Walk behind Craftsman 37299 21" 132cc Push Mower won't start.

Threads
Don............... It looks like the blade boss / adapter is broken ...... You only have a lil more than half left on there.....

Like Bert said bring the mower back and ask for a new one... That one wasn't supposed to be sold in the first place.....

If they say no do like Bert said and go to the local TV station .... They love schitt like this and usually have a investigation team that consists of a TV journalist that makes all the necessary calls for the legalities...... Most of the time they don't have to set up shop in front of the store to scare them .....A phone call does it most of the time.....

If management puts them off saying they need more time to look into the matter then the TV person takes action, then the store is screwed by their own manager..... The van pulls up and people start talking and soon there is someone coming out the store inquiring WTF is going on here..........

That's how easy that schitt is.............. So nut up and make a call Mon Ami ~!~!

donnieu

Threads
First picture is a little blurry, but has the appearance that the star area may be smashed toward the ends of the bowtie. If that is damaged may have to try to straighten out the damaged area, or replace the blade mount with a new blade.
On 2nd look, the blade mount is broken off on one corner.

Will take blade and mount to store tomorrow and see what they will do. This mower was loaded into my car in a box that was for a $450 self propelled mower (not my mower's box).
I ordered it online. They had some special going, $60 in points for buying this,so I got it for net $184-60=$124. My guess is it was a floor model that some disgruntled employee tampered with before quitting, as there were no signs of it being used.

The pull cord assembly was screwed on in the wrong direction. Wrong blade. Handle shook badly first time I started it due to blade off center. Pull cord broke 2nd time I used it. Would not start 3rd time I tried. Not sure when or why throttle got disconnected. Engine seemed to run a little fast every time.

If they will accept a return, what is the best low priced mower to buy? One with Briggs engine? I only plan to be in this house 2 or 3 years, so I don't need an expensive long term lawn mower. I see their web site shows : "Equipped with a dependable Briggs & Stratton® 125 cc 450E Series engine, the Poulan Pro PR450N20S is a great entry-level push mower " for about the same price range.

Last edited:
Threads
Yes the Poulan Pro with the E 450 engine is the best choice ......... I like those engines as long as you put NON ETHO gas in them and make sure it comes from very clean can.... The tiny schitt in gas will stop up the main jets, but the carb is easily cleaned .......

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Agree on the Poulan push mower. good mower and the Briggs engine is a good engine. the new engines can be picky when it comes to fuel quality, so if you have starting issues the first thing to do is dump the fuel and put in FRESH fuel.

donnieu

Threads
Was unable to get to store today. But just called customer support 800 number, got someone who speaked little English, and they just gave me the line that it is past 30 days and nothing they can do on their end, and I should just take it to the store for repair. I asked to speak to his manager, and he refused my request. Will try to talk to store after work tomorrow.

Threads
Was unable to get to store today. But just called customer support 800 number, got someone who speaked little English, and they just gave me the line that it is past 30 days and nothing they can do on their end, and I should just take it to the store for repair. I asked to speak to his manager, and he refused my request. Will try to talk to store after work tomorrow.

Yes please talk to the manager and like I said before "Politely" ......... I think they are giving you the run around up the front and back and stopping at the back side to screw you......

In no way shape or form they can't let you speak to a manager.... Like I said before those calls or recorded and if you gave them your name and other info then there will notes written in their computer records on a case number, if you have a case number..............

I can sell Ice to a Eskimo when it comes to dealing with issues on schiit like that...... I don't threaten them I just take action and go over their heads...........

Let us what you find out tomorrow..... This is turning into a good Saga and makes interesting reading on how to deal with corporate crap ..............

Plus Tard Mon Ami ~!~!

Threads
Make you a list of things that you want to say to the manager ......

Oil was already in the mower and it was dirty..... That means it was used mower..

Blade boss / adapter was broken when you got it ........

Carb linkage is fricked up ......

Wrong box for the Mower .......

Mower wasn't supposed to be sold as per the rep you talked to on the phone............

I can go on and on by what you said already on this thread........

Don't tell him you will go to the local TV station.... That is a threat IMHO..... Just make a phone call to your station and ask if they have an investigation team that can help you ...... There will be a station in your viewing area that will help you with this or they will make a few calls for you....

I forgot to add this in my other post earlier ..... Your TV news channel station makes their money from reporting news and in your case that is news..... It's not just about the weather and sports, no sir..........

They love schitt like this, it's local news and people will eat that up...............

Plus Tard Mon Ami ~!~!

(Account Closed)

Threads
Make you a list of things that you want to say to the manager ......

Oil was already in the mower and it was dirty..... That means it was used mower..

Blade boss / adapter was broken when you got it ........

Carb linkage is fricked up ......

Wrong box for the Mower .......

Mower wasn't supposed to be sold as per the rep you talked to on the phone............

I can go on and on by what you said already on this thread........

Don't tell him you will go to the local TV station.... That is a threat IMHO..... Just make a phone call to your station and ask if they have an investigation team that can help you ...... There will be a station in your viewing area that will help you with this or they will make a few calls for you....

I forgot to add this in my other post earlier ..... Your TV news channel station makes their money from reporting news and in your case that is news..... It's not just about the weather and sports, no sir..........

They love schitt like this, it's local news and people will eat that up...............

Plus 100% ^^^

I would add BRING the mower with you.

If need be, start it, let it vibrate, scream, etc...

donnieu

Threads
Sears store closest to me closed a few weeks ago. Went downtown to the one I picked up mower from. Shelves were empty or gone, closing in a few days. Did talk to manager, and she said she would exchange if she had one, but obviously lawn mower dept was an empty floor. She said I would have to go to the nearest store not privately owned, which is about 60 miles away. So guess I will. I suppose the drive shaft on this mower is probably damaged? The wrong blade vibration apparently caused the 1/4" steel in the blade mount to bust off. Did get the new blade from UPS today, but not sure if I even want to try to start it with the broken mount. Appears likely the best they would likely do is an exchange for same mower. Called their parts site about a new blade mount, and they told me "that is not a warranteed part".

(Account Closed)

Threads
Sears store closest to me closed a few weeks ago. Went downtown to the one I picked up mower from. Shelves were empty or gone, closing in a few days. Did talk to manager, and she said she would exchange if she had one, but obviously lawn mower dept was an empty floor. She said I would have to go to the nearest store not privately owned, which is about 60 miles away. So guess I will. I suppose the drive shaft on this mower is probably damaged? The wrong blade vibration apparently caused the 1/4" steel in the blade mount to bust off. Did get the new blade from UPS today, but not sure if I even want to try to start it with the broken mount. Appears likely the best they would likely do is an exchange for same mower. Called their parts site about a new blade mount, and they told me "that is not a warranteed part".

Jeez...

Anyway, you should be ok with the crank, shouldn't be bent. Had you ran it for years, vibrating badly, would be VERY HARD on the engine. I wouldn't put anything else into it and when you can, bring it to the warranty shop while still under warranty.

Heck, if all the linkages (shouldn't be much), etc, they can order all new parts, adjust RPM's, etc...

Bring your part down there just in case, it's the least of your issues..