Welcome to the Murray Forum -- Check in Here First!

FPlante92

Forum Newbie
Threads
That code is not one I am familiar with.
However if it has a Briggs engine in it the first 2 digits of the serial number will be the year ,
From that I would go to jacks web page https://www.jackssmallengines.com/
and click on the parts look up and when the screen redraws click on Murray.
That will bring up the Murray mowers by year page.
Select the year from the engine ( hoping it has not been changed ) then Lawn & garden then riding mowers.
Now right click/ shift click etc to open in a new tab on lawn tractors then the deck size .
After that pick any model you like, most will be the same steering wise.
The list only goes up to 2017, im assuming the "18" in my model number means its a 2018?

Depending upon just how old the mower is it might have a peerless box and a fixed real axel, thus no diff thus very wide turning radius .
You actually steer these going backwards ( like a reverse park ) to get the tightest turns.
it definetely does not have a rear diff if memory serves, I havent paid much attention to the rear end so this is another thing I will confirm when I get off duty. But I did notice on the short drive I took that the rear wheels dont seem to be locked together.

As for the drag links, yes they all have funny bends and no you can never bend them back to be straight.
You will see that the bends are to allow the front axel to pivot and the steering rods to clear the deck & belts.
Got it, seemed strange to me at the start, but that explanation makes sense!

The worst case you will need to cut the one that is too long and fit a threaded sleeve to adjust them.
If it is old then it will have adjustable tie rod ends & again I fit them to a lot of mowers that have non adjustable steering rods.
Hopefully the new bushings previously mentioned will fix the issue, if not Ill break out the welder!

When the front wheel runs into a rut on full lock the mower is quite capable of bending the rods way out of adjustment.
The pivot bush ( or lack there of ) in the front cross member can allow the front member to roll when you turn which makes things worse.

Back in the days when people would pay an honest amout for a riding mower so there was profit in making them Murray was one of the names behind the big brand names that you recognise today.
Well i have looked up the similar models currently for sale and the price point is far and away below the John deeres, Craftsman, and Husqvarnas with the same general equipment and apparent quality!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well i have looked up the similar models currently for sale and the price point is far and away below the John deeres, Craftsman, and Husqvarnas with the same general equipment and apparent quality!

Briggs & Stratton bought the remains of Murray from the liquidators
They have sold the rights to the brand name to a Chinese factory so the Murrays you see now days are fully imported.
I can buy them for $ 435 (US) on the wharf in China if I buy 250 or more.
Down here they are sold through stock & station shops for $1999 ( AUS )
A quality Honda self propelled is $ 2200 so I would not open my wallet for a new Murray.
Briggs import a similar model from the same factory that they market under the Victa brand name here and they are trash as well.
Everything looks good in the showroom it is when you get on the floor & see things like how the deck is supported & the deck height control that you see where the corners were cut.

However that has little to do with your mower
It is not a 2018 mower with that number 1991 perhaps.
Since the 90's the model number started with the deck size so a 42" deck will be 42???x??
This is why we asked for the numbers off the engine.

FPlante92

Forum Newbie
Threads
Briggs & Stratton bought the remains of Murray from the liquidators
They have sold the rights to the brand name to a Chinese factory so the Murrays you see now days are fully imported.
I can buy them for $ 435 (US) on the wharf in China if I buy 250 or more.
Down here they are sold through stock & station shops for $1999 ( AUS )
A quality Honda self propelled is $ 2200 so I would not open my wallet for a new Murray.
Briggs import a similar model from the same factory that they market under the Victa brand name here and they are trash as well.
Everything looks good in the showroom it is when you get on the floor & see things like how the deck is supported & the deck height control that you see where the corners were cut.

However that has little to do with your mower
It is not a 2018 mower with that number 1991 perhaps.
Since the 90's the model number started with the deck size so a 42" deck will be 42???x??
This is why we asked for the numbers off the engine.

Makes sense, Ill make sure to post up the numbers once I get home in about 4 hours! I feel like if the mower was the same age as me it would definitely show more signs of aging.
Just from looking around at it, it seems to be pretty dang new.

KTECH

Forum Newbie
Threads
GREETINGS to all Murray equipment owners!

If you're new to the forum, please reply to this thread and introduce yourself and your Murray power tools (that is, if your mower has a name). Maybe attach a photo or two of your equipment.

Also, if you haven't done so already, you can upload a user avatar (picture under your user name). You can do so by clicking on settings and "edit avatar" or just click here.

Please be helpful and friendly to all other Murray owners (how could you not, right?) and if you like this forum, tell your friends about it.

We want to make this the best resource for Murray owners, and to do that we need your help! Questions? Experiences? Stories? Data? Photos? Articles? Links? Cool Murray stuff? Post it here!

Last but not least, please let me know if you have any suggestions for the site. We'd love to hear them.
Hey guys new to the Murray Nation.my name is KTECH good to be apart of this with you all

Dhughes

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello everyone, my name is Dewayne and I'm from upstate South Carolina with a Murray Select model 465306x8 that I'd like to get a little help with.

Lizards5614

Forum Newbie
Threads
Heyo I am Nathanael with a late 90's Murray (I think). Just one issue, the arm is too long for the gear shifter. Any suggestions? Text me at 804-205-2582, Thanks

Jim131

Threads
Hi, Jim from atl. Had my Murray for 26 years. Love the hydrostatic drive. Cheers!

oldfart2

Forum Newbie
Threads
hello just signed for help with a weedeater i have it's a murray. :unsure:

EttienneT

Forum Newbie
Threads
GREETINGS to all Murray equipment owners!

If you're new to the forum, please reply to this thread and introduce yourself and your Murray power tools (that is, if your mower has a name). Maybe attach a photo or two of your equipment.

Also, if you haven't done so already, you can upload a user avatar (picture under your user name). You can do so by clicking on settings and "edit avatar" or just click here.

Please be helpful and friendly to all other Murray owners (how could you not, right?) and if you like this forum, tell your friends about it.

We want to make this the best resource for Murray owners, and to do that we need your help! Questions? Experiences? Stories? Data? Photos? Articles? Links? Cool Murray stuff? Post it here!

Last but not least, please let me know if you have any suggestions for the site. We'd love to hear them.

Hello from South Africa!

My name is Ettienne,my wife and I recently bought a small mower dealership, in our hometown of Richards Bay.

It's been a roller coaster to say the least, 3 weeks after we started operating, our governmeent shut the country down for 5 weeks. Who would have believed that such a thing could ever happen.

Anyway, I've learn't a great deal, in a short few months, about a wide variety of things, and we've had amazing successes, but also a few mishaps.

Thanks for everyone who give their time and shares advice and experience, to rookies like me!

Stay safe everyone!

Travis_mcmeen

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey all! I've posted here before, and just now got the ol Murray finally running! Took a lot of time, but im more than happy with the result... She's a worker, not a shower lol. Ill post a video on here from youtube with all the steps i have taken. Umm i still need a couple things for her, new starter, maybe fiber-glassing a hood. Also i have a buddy that has an old stack that i may put into the exhaust system. Let me know what you guys think of her.

Video

View attachment 5794
I have a 98 murray widebody mud mower it's a beast that's for sure