Repairs z5000 transmission oil change

kennethburch

Forum Newbie
Threads
Has anyone found a way to drain the transmission oil without removing it?

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Last edited:

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
don't listen to anybody that tells you you cannot work on that transaxle. Tuff Torq has a manual on how to fix them. The easiest and fastest way to work on them is to take them out as a unit with the tires on. Should be six or seven bolts total then the brake line. Then roll it out as a unit. Easy, took me less than 20 minutes.

I meant to say hydro gear

Last edited:

kennethburch

Forum Newbie
Threads
don't listen to anybody that tells you you cannot work on that transaxle. Tuff Torq has a manual on how to fix them. The easiest and fastest way to work on them is to take them out as a unit with the tires on. Should be six or seven bolts total then the brake line. Then roll it out as a unit. Easy, took me less than 20 minutes.

Yes removing the transaxle from the frame allows you to see the filler plug on top. Remove the filler plug and vent and place the unit upside down over a pan and the old fluid will drain out. My mower is 7 years old and oil was very dark. Replacing oil with Mobile One. I think this needs to be done to extend the life of these drive units. Do you agree?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I think oil changes should be done on them as their manual says every 200 hours. Course I don't use Mobile1 because I think that stuff is just total junk. All of the units made by this company are designed to use Castrol 20w50. You can use their synthetic if you want or conventional.