Kt735-3013 help!!!

tanman34fl

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey guys hope you can help...kinda desperate here having issues with my money maker.
I have been in lawn care for over 30 yrs and ive never had one act like this.
I have a cub a rzts 46 cub cadet with a 24 kohler on it KT735-3013. This started a few weeks ago. When it runs it flubbers like a plug trying to foul or a valve sticking. But it just does it for a few seconds then returns to normal. It does it at any time, but does it evrytime you turn the blades on or put it under a little load driving. But then it recovers for 15sec to however long some, times it wont do it for a few minutes.
It also has a leak around the muffler gasket on one side. When you move the throttle up and down it will backfire.

This is what ive done. Changed the plugs when it first started doing this. Ran the motor with an inline spark checker. Plugs didn't help and spark seemed good. I also put MMO in the fuel and oil. No help.

Cleaned the carb several times and the whole fuel system. No help. Shortly before this started happening I put an inline fuel shutoff on. I have concerns this is restricting my flow. But it does it at startup so I wouldn't think the bowl would be low enough then. Tested fuel pump also.

I have noticed on one valve cover where it looks white hot and trying to rust, right over the exhaust valve. I took off the valve covers and everything looked to be moving normal. I put them back and cleaned the carb again seemed like it helped a little. Now I have them off again, a local mechanic swears that I have a bad head gasket and the leak im hearing around the muffler area is not the exhaust gasket but the head gasket. I did a compression test and I got 165 on the other side 120 on this side. The other side seems fine. This side has low compression, burnt spot on the valve cover, and is puffing around the muffler connection. The intake valve is set at 2 or 3 thousands and my exhaust is at .005.
Whats you guys opinion???? Any help is greatly appreciated.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Hey guys hope you can help...kinda desperate here having issues with my money maker.
I have been in lawn care for over 30 yrs and ive never had one act like this.
I have a cub a rzts 46 cub cadet with a 24 kohler on it KT735-3013. This started a few weeks ago. When it runs it flubbers like a plug trying to foul or a valve sticking. But it just does it for a few seconds then returns to normal. It does it at any time, but does it evrytime you turn the blades on or put it under a little load driving. But then it recovers for 15sec to however long some, times it wont do it for a few minutes.
It also has a leak around the muffler gasket on one side. When you move the throttle up and down it will backfire.

This is what ive done. Changed the plugs when it first started doing this. Ran the motor with an inline spark checker. Plugs didn't help and spark seemed good. I also put MMO in the fuel and oil. No help.

Cleaned the carb several times and the whole fuel system. No help. Shortly before this started happening I put an inline fuel shutoff on. I have concerns this is restricting my flow. But it does it at startup so I wouldn't think the bowl would be low enough then. Tested fuel pump also.

I have noticed on one valve cover where it looks white hot and trying to rust, right over the exhaust valve. I took off the valve covers and everything looked to be moving normal. I put them back and cleaned the carb again seemed like it helped a little. Now I have them off again, a local mechanic swears that I have a bad head gasket and the leak im hearing around the muffler area is not the exhaust gasket but the head gasket. I did a compression test and I got 165 on the other side 120 on this side. The other side seems fine. This side has low compression, burnt spot on the valve cover, and is puffing around the muffler connection. The intake valve is set at 2 or 3 thousands and my exhaust is at .005.
Whats you guys opinion???? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sounds like a head gasket to me as well.
Start the mower set the brake then go round the back and manually open the throttle ( move the governor rod )
If it starts to go funny when you open the the throttle then that is classic blown head gasket.
Usually you get some black or white smoke for a brief period.
After that stop the engine & remove the dip stick
If you get fume coming out of the engine then that is another sign of a blown head gasket.

tanman34fl

Forum Newbie
Threads
My thinking was if it was a head gasket it would act up continuously. It acts like it is doing it then not. And should there be that much heat going into the valve cover to burn it?

tanman34fl

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok ill tear it down in the morning and get back with you. Thanks guys ill let you know what I find out.

Threads
X 3 with Bert and Rivets..... 2 to 3 thou is not right on a valve setting ~!~!

Plus Tard Mon Ami ~!~!

Luffydog

Threads
They are very famous for blowing the head gasket. The main reason is because it doesn't have a fire ring on them. The new one that you will get will look alot different from the old one. I would do a leak down test and listen for the air flow. Might also have some valve damage as well if it's ever been hot. Check for a lot of build up under the cover.

tanman34fl

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok got it tore down. Looks like you were right blowed head gasket. When I loosened the head bolts on both sides the bottom two bolts weren't as tight as the top two. I was able to find a local mower shop that has a couple kits on hand so im headed there first thing in the morning to get them and get them installed. Would you guys loc tite the head bolts??Or any other advice???

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
NO LOCTITE. Bolt threads and threads in head should be dry. Torque the bolts dry. I never use loctite on any nuts or bolts when reassembling an engine.

Luffydog

Threads
If you got a kit it should have directions for the torque specs #1 and for #2 as in times first torque and second torque.