Time to revive the back yard - advice

AlabamaDan

Threads
When I moved in my house five years ago the back yard was a beautiful oasis. Now it's a sad looking place. In retrospect I believe the seller had recently had the yard landscaped so it looked fabulous when selling it, but I suspect prior to that it looked sad. At any rate, I want to fix it. I have some pretty significant water drainage issues and a lot of shade. Last fall I failed to rake properly and now the ground is either bare or has sparse spots of grass like an old man who is balding and doesn't want to admit it.

I live in the deep south so hot summers and wet winters, but no snow to speak of and not a lot of cold temps. I have a sprinkler system, but it was so wet this year I haven't had to use it. I also have a couple of small dogs, who are trained to go in the flowerbeds behind bushes. I was thinking about Rebel grass:

https://www.therebels.com/all-products/rebels-southern-classic-shade

I remember a guy a few years ago had a beautiful yard and he said it was rebel grass. He said the only downside was that it really took a lot of water. He said it was also good in the shade. Sounds like it would solve all my problems.

Do you agree that Rebel grass is a good choice? Do I have to do something to prepare the soil or can I just scratch the ground with a hard rake? I've never planted grass seed before.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would contact the county extension office (if there is one) where you live. They might have advice for what you're wanting to do. That's what I did, but I live in Kansas and the grass where you live is probably not the same.

There is also an organization called the Alabama Turf Grass Association that might have some advice. https://alturfgrass.org/

The basic steps to replanting a yard are:

1. Do it at the right time of year for where you live. (Late summer for me; may be different for you)

2. Kill it, with something like Roundup.

3. Rake off the dead grass.

4. Till it, but not too much.

5. Spread seed and starter fertilizer

6. Rake lightly to cover seed.

7. Water.

8. Water, mow and fertilize as needed for your location.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Can't help on the grass type, I'm in the Northeast USA in cool season turf territory.

You can rent a slit (slice) seeder that cuts shallow slits in the ground and then drops seed from a hopper. Best to spread half the seed in perpendicular directions. This method doesn't work well if you have an uneven humpy/lumpy/clumpy lawn because the tines miss the low spots. Another method is to use a power de-thatcher. They have a flail-type tine that allows you to reach those nooks and crannies better and do a shallow till of the lawn without digging up a ton of rocks and destroying any good grass you do have. There will be a lot to clean up before seeding with a broadcast seeder if you use the de-thatcher. If you have heavy shade I suggest that you try to raise the low limbs up a bit, thin the trees out or remove some.

Pumper54

Threads
Adding to the information you got above try this link: http://www.randylemmon.com/lawns/gardenline-sod.html he has a radio show on the wekends here in Southeast Texas so a lot of the info may relate to your neck of the woods so to speak. It is the Kill-Till-Fill-Sod method of yard redo.

Good luck and have fun
Tom