Bringing A 111 Back from the dead

Hitechluddite

Threads
I bought an old steel hood 111 mower for $30. it's been sitting outside for many years but is still cosmetically decent. It's got an 11HP Brigs in it and a 38" deck. I picked it up as a winter project for me and my 14yr old son. The motor is not seized but will not try to start till I flush the gas tank, oil and remove/clean carb. My biggest concern at this point is when you lift up the rear end and spin a wheel forward the other wheel spins in reverse. This makes pushing it to load and bring home quite a chore unless we get a winch. Any ideas on what could be causing this? major problem or just something stuck in the wrong position?

Threads
That is normal for the tranny to do that ......... I think you are stuck in gear........

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If the brake is rusted on that locks the diff which will cause the wheels to turn in opposite directions.
The brake is a little disc either on the tranny or on the box itself if it is a chain drive model .
JD write really good technical manuals.
Most trade schools will have a ful set in their library if you can not afford to buy one from JD.

Hitechluddite

Threads
Thanks bertsmobile
I've been googling manuals and found them all online but haven't found a site yet where I can do a free download or look at exploded parts diagrams online. It is probably out there somewhere...

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Nothing that is really good is free and the same goes for the JD manual.
JD do have their entire parts catalogue on line
https://partscatalog.deere.com/.
The new catalogue is a PIA but it does work.
It would appear that your mower is just a 111.
The new search recognizes spaces so A111 & A 111 bring up different lists

Hitechluddite

Threads
That link is what I really needed! Access to part numbers so the cost availability can be found is about all I'll need. If the engine or tranny is toast we will strip it and part it out. #1 son can spend his winter cleaning, painting parts and refurbishing anything that is not cost prohibitive. If the engine and tranny are good we can compile a list of how much it will take to get it in perfect shape and that is where his efforts will go.

green dream

Threads
i inherited my 111 and it didn't run when i got it. the kill switch was disconnected as was most of the safty switches. someone put a 12hp motor in and didn't hook anything up. all thats working now. i even hooked the alternator up, no more dead batteries. the brakes were rusted solid so i had to bump stop. the next thing was the electric clutch, it sat to close to the belts and cut the wires. john deere would not sell me the spacer so i had to make my own out of 1 inch washers with a notch cut in, works beautiful now. the only problem i have now is when i shut it off the crankcaes floods with gas. i think the float is bad. a friend gave me a complete 111 for 50 bucks and it had all the little pieces mine was missing or broke like the throttle and battery box. these are pretty simple once you get a wiring diagram.

Hitechluddite

Threads
Ours is running now and all back together except the deck, we'll put that on in the spring. This winter the kids will exercise it with the older ones giving the smaller ones rides in the JD 7 trailer. It's charging and starts easier than our 165.