Chainsaw sharpener

synthia

Forum Newbie
Threads
I need to buy a chainsaw sharpener which should be easy to use and more consistent. I read a post where I found two types of chainsaw sharpener oregon 511 and timber tuff cs bwm. Please suggest the best one out of these.

K.Sharon

Forum Newbie
Threads
I Acquired oregon 511 sharpener for my business and it didn't disappoint!.....Have sharpened a couple of dozen chains and it has performed comparably as advertised!...professional thing at a sensible expense!
Note: if you have never worked a processor like this, you should try to adjust yourself with the fundamental undertaking of this sort of unit before attempting to accumulate and use this unit. If you know HOW they work, get together and use it is a piece of cake.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The Timber Tuff will be the most popular for 3 reasons
1) people are ignorant when it comes to assessing the quality of tools.
2) people are cheap.
3) people are stupid

As dad used to say
"He who buys cheap pays thrice"

Which company makes chains ?
So which company knows best how to sharpen chains ?

In fairness the Timber Tuff looks like a FAKED Super Jolly the sharpener I inherited with the mower repair run and was sold under the Oregon brand name.
At that price the almost have to be made in China ( real Super Jolly's are made in Italy ) which means you are probabily being ripped as Timber Tuff will be paying about $ 50 for them.
So if Timber Tuff have really good quality control happening at the factory then they might be good.

As previously mentioned, to get good results you HAVE TO KNOW & UNDERSTAND saw chain and how to sharpen them ( most users don't )
Whichever one you buy get some heavy car wax and coat the machine with it or you will end up with a lot of grindings welded onto the sharpener body.
If you ave a good eye then use the grit wheels because the edge profile of the wheels is essential to getting both a good edge on the teeth and a consistent tooth length left right.
If not get the diamond wheels.

As it only takes 1/2 second to touch up the teeth, spend a good 5 minutes properly setting up the sharpener, note there are 3 angles to be set .
And when I said TOUCH up I meant TOUCH not rip .040" off each tooth.
If you have cut through some wire & buggered the points you need to run the chain through 4 or 5 times to avoid overheating the teeth .
Attempting to take a cut that is too deep will bend the armature and render the tool useless and that applies to all of them.

Because even the testers have no idea how to assess the quality of a sharpener none of them mention how many bearings are in the unit , what grade they are and how thick the armature is & what grade of steel it is made of .
All far more important than the size of the motor.
Also carefully check the balance of the wheels running a wheel that is unbalanced will destroy the armature as well.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you plan on sharpening chains I suggest you spend another $25-50 once you get your machine. What should you spend it on? INFORMATION Find the best sharpener in your area and give him or her the money to spend a 1/2 hour watching them sharpen and asking questions about wheels, chains and angles. Their experience and info will be far more valuable than $25 and save you a lot of headaches down the road. The ease of sharpening you see in person and videos is accomplished after hours of practice and a knowledge of how a chain works, types of chains (aggressive, safety, skip, square, raker depth) types of wheels, wheel maintainance etc. As Bert said, don’t be cheap. If I was going to get another one, I would go with Oregon.

Threads
I found the best sharpeners are the Stihl 2 in 1 sharpeners, it is a hand operated unit but it takes the rakers/ depth gauges down at the same time as the cutters and gives a razor edge ..... Here is a link to a video on them......

Enjoy ............https://youtu.be/sBJRzbaFC9Y

Tjstampa

Threads
I have been using the perfred brand 2-1 on my pole saw. Works better than a straight file in this beginners hands. I bought a new chain but now the original chain cuts better than new.