Mower deck Tension spring keeps breaking

jon85

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, I have a grasshopper that keeps breaking the tension spring we've replaced it 4 times now in the past week, the tension bar has alot of room to wiggle up and down moves side to side fine but i feel it has to mush room to move up and down, would that cause me to go thru all these springs, all springs were brand new! Im not sure the year or model number but the deck is in front with a mulching attachment on. Could this cause it? or something else? Please help!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you are not sure of the model number, you must not be using the proper spring. Many companies use a hardened spring due to the constant motion and tension they must endure. If you have as much play on the tensioner arm as you describe, it is probably contributing to your problem. You need to find out why you have so much play and then order the proper OEM parts to do the repair done right. In this case trying to get by with pennys is costing you dollars.

jon85

Forum Newbie
Threads
well i dont own it i just run it, my boss orders the spring via model number, i have no problem getting it on, so i think its the right spring, works fine for a hour or two then it would break on the hook part. Nut the tension bar its self feels like it move up and down more then what it should, also moves side to side the way it is suppose to fine. Would that cause it?

BWH

Threads
I've never had a tension spring break on any of the four models I've owned throughout the years. I would suggest calling Grasshopper they have really helpful folks to help or you could email them your problem.

Threads
Hello, I have a grasshopper that keeps breaking the tension spring we've replaced it 4 times now in the past week, the tension bar has alot of room to wiggle up and down moves side to side fine but i feel it has to mush room to move up and down, would that cause me to go thru all these springs, all springs were brand new! Im not sure the year or model number but the deck is in front with a mulching attachment on. Could this cause it? or something else? Please help!

Yes if your tensioner arm is moving up and down the bearing is wore out. There should be a bearing on top and bottom of the tensioner arm. If you know the model number for the deck I could tell you want part number you need.

ARN Greencare

Threads
What model mower? I am assuming the one mounted directly on the deck and tensions the secondary belt. Some models have a tension spring at the rear also, but what type will depend on the model. If it is a standard 200 series, 300, 400, there will be another at the rear, just below where the primary deck drive belt attaches to the PTO clutch.

Your "V" models, 100v, 200v, etc., do not have this rear deck tension spring.

Musicforce

Forum Newbie
Threads
I recently started having the same problem with my tensioner spring breaking. Did you ever resolve the problem?