Shift lever question

MowLife

Threads
I have 2 peerless mst 206s that I’m swapping with each other in separate mowers. The problem I’m having is the shift lever height is not the same on them. One sits flush with the case and the other extends up 3 to 4 inches. I removed both levers from their shafts to see if the high one was some sort of removable extension but can’t really tell. Does anyone know if it is removable or part of the shift input shaft?

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yes it is removable, it is usually supplied by the MOWER maker... to fit their SPECIFIC linkage for a SPECIFIC model

the shifter arm and/ or linkage should be found in the mowers parts manual, see example ( this is from my peerless MST 205 series trans on my 46in. Murray Mower)

11 TRANS A.JPG...11TRANS B.JPG....see P/N 66 ... ( near page bottom, & attach. parts, numbers 27, 28, 72, & 73 )

MowLife

Threads
Thanks for the response boo. I found the breakdown on my transaxle but it don’t clearly show the part I’m talking about. Here is a pic of it...trying to remove the rusty extension between the shift lever and tranny.

2A46EEBC-4CA1-4BA5-B842-92DCA8AE0D35.jpg2A46EEBC-4CA1-4BA5-B842-92DCA8AE0D35.jpg

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
OHH hold on... I thought you meant the shift shaft lever, the shaft YOU are talking about ( which the lever is bolted too, is an INTERNAL part of the transaxle, unit must come apart to remove the shaft, and looking at that pulley (which MUST be removed to separate the cases for dis-assembly will be a real bass-turd !!) theres a snap-ring holds it on the shaft, but, the rust is what REALLY holds it on, and it took me 4 days of prying with wood wedges and tons of PB-Blaster to finally get mine off (without deforming it) PATIENCE is a must !! I bought a NEW transaxle unit for $79.99 and installed the pulley on it, then coated the snap-ring area with silicone to prevent water intrusion, (just in case).......

DSCN1521 (Medium).JPG...DSCN1525 (Medium).JPG...DSCN1527 (Medium).JPG

1111MY TRANS.JPG...DSCN1564 (Medium).JPG...DSCN1566 (Medium).JPG

heres a diagram from sears parts # 66 is the shaft, but you need to know the MODEL # of the trans, for the correct shaft P/N I would guess ..

https://www.searspartsdirect.com/model-number/206545c/0796/1510000.html

you have to keep enlarging the diagram to see things......

Last edited:

MowLife

Threads
I was afraid of getting the answer of having to open it up. I didn’t want to fight the rusted input pulley is why I swapped trannys with one I was able to make a simple pulley swap. I was thinking I would end up destroying the shaft with an attempt to remove the pulley. Thanks again for another quick response....I may try to change up the shift linkages to make it work.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
That might be the easier way out, sorry about the misinformation, and yes, getting the pulley off without destroying it or damaging the shaft, IS a task, not easily accomplished.