DEERE LA135

tomcan2

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, I have a JD LA135 that will not fire, good battery, good gas, turns over but will not fire even with starting fluid. If I have a bad safety switch, I can not figure it out! Thanks!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If the engine is turning over, there is nothing wrong with your safety switches. Have you checked for spark? Have you put starting fluid directly into the cylinder? Have you checked valve clearance? Have you got any engine numbers so we can see what you are talking about? Remember we are not standing next to you and with Trump threatening to shut down the government, we cannot use our superpowers of ESP. You must paint us a better picture.

tomcan2

Forum Newbie
Threads
If the engine is turning over, there is nothing wrong with your safety switches. Have you checked for spark? Have you put starting fluid directly into the cylinder? Have you checked valve clearance? Have you got any engine numbers so we can see what you are talking about? Remember we are not standing next to you and with Trump threatening to shut down the government, we cannot use our superpowers of ESP. You must paint us a better picture.

Thanks, Rivets,
I have tried starting fluid after changing plugs but nothing, not even a hint of 'firing'. ENGINE-B&S 22hp OHV 407777-0232-B1 I'm afraid I have tunnel vision at this point and believe it's a stuck/broken safety switch but I'm all ears and will try anything you think will solve my problem. JOHN DEERE LA135 MODEL GXA135A301543 (APPROX/10YEARS OLD. I have not checked valves.yet! PUZZLED IN ST LOUIS

I appreciate your time and knowledge, thank you.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First, get the safety switches out of your mind, they are good and working properly. This manual may help.https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6NaqjIxWV1ySkZjTTA5TGltZEE/view

We have to find out if you have a fuel, spark or compression problem. Go through these tests in order and report back. Even if you did these before, I want you to check everything again. An assistant will help.

1. Check to see if you have spark on both cylinders. If you have spark on both cylinders, we know the ignition system is good.
2. Check to see if you have fuel getting to the cylinders. To do this, set the throttle control on CHOKE and turn the engine over at least ten revolutions. Pull both plugs and see if they are wet or dry.
If both plugs are dry, you don’t have fuel getting to either cylinder. If one plug is dry, no fuel is getting to that cylinder and you will need to check valve clearances on that cylinder.
3. If you have spark and fuel two both cylinders, I would then check to see if the flywheel key is sheared. Your plugs may be firing at the wrong time. Your option to do this. You will still need to check the valve clearances on both cylinders to make sure they are in specs.

How far you go is up to you, report back with any results.

tomcan2

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Rivets,

I followed your advice and found out I was not getting fuel. I'm not sure the procedure I used was perfect but the mower runs. Once I determined I was getting fuel to the fuel pump BUT NOT TO THE CARB, I sprayed starting fluid into the line to the carb.......once it started and kept running I think the pump needed to be primed; not sure if that is true and/or need a new fuel pump. Anyway, I appreciate ALL your help/advice, you're one of the good guys!!!

Thanks,
Tom

PS: What do you call a turtle with an erection? ----------------- A slow poke!!