smoker

ropost

Forum Newbie
Threads
I run 2 Stihl 009s daily. Both saws have over 1000 hours and 120 psi compression. Saw A began smoking(a lot) but continues to run fine with no change in compression. I drained the bar oil tank and swapped carburetors between the two saws, saw A continues to smoke, saw B is unchanged. Same gas in both. What has happened?

(Account Closed)

Threads
I run 2 Stihl 009s daily. Both saws have over 1000 hours and 120 psi compression. Saw A began smoking(a lot) but continues to run fine with no change in compression. I drained the bar oil tank and swapped carburetors between the two saws, saw A continues to smoke, saw B is unchanged. Same gas in both. What has happened?

What's the spark plugs look like? Is "A" darker or more oily?

For S&G's, you could disconnect the oil pump via the clutch hub and see if there's any change.

Really, the only thing possibly causing the smoke (off hand), would be if the oil tank cracked and is seeping bar oil into the fuel tank.. I'm not sure how your oil pump is set up, but inspecting that (and hoses) as well wouldn't hurt..

**And the clutch springs are intact, NOT dragging/over heating and smoking correct?? Safety brake functioning properly, again not dragging, broke binding?

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Do these engines have reed valves? If so they can get dirty or warped, little piece of something holding one open, allow reversion from crankcase back into carb and sometimes sure run rich and smoke. Worth a look maybe.

(Account Closed)

Threads
I don't believe they have reeds.

I just resurrected a Stihl MS210 (been sitting for a long time) and had to clean the carb (main issue) among other issues.

I didn't notice any reeds and believe it's piston port.

I've never seen a reed valved chain saw (but there's probably one out there). As reeds help with the lower end, somewhat useless / un-needed for a machine normally run at over 10,000 RPMs...

I forgot to mention earlier to check the spark arrester screen for clogging. Could have clogged up (with more idling) and is now burning off the excess oil.. I yank them all (with customers permission).

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Clickin at 1000 hours ..?? Might need a "top-end O/H " you might want to try using Amsoil or Opti-2 100:1 oil mix (smokeless) to maybe see if that clears the problem, YES .. 100:1 mix ratio, I've been using the Opti-2 for over 20 years never a problem and ALL my 2 cycles scream like a scalded arse ape..... I use 1.3 oz. per Gal. measured EXACTLY

http://www.syntheticwarehouse.com/amsoil_saber.htm

https://opti2-4.com/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&catego .. Says page not found BUT click on Opti-2 in the BLUE bar above