Mower runs for 5 min. And then stops

Twags1974

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a yard machine rider. It has a new carburetor, but it just started having issues 3 weeks later. It will run and I can even engage the blades but then it does shortly after. I even changed the fuel filter and nothing. Can anyone suggest what to look for next. I really dont want to put anymore money into it. Thanks ?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Have you checked to see if the cap is venting properly. We also need a bit more info because we are not holding your hand and seeing the problem. What is the numbers off the engine, so we know what you are talking about? How long have you been dealing with this problem? What made you change the carb? What symptoms do you have? What other solutions have you tried?

SidecarFlip

Threads
Better practice your speed mowing.......:laughing:

(Account Closed)

Threads
Plus 1, more engine info would help but it sounds like a fuel delivery issue...

I'd start with dumping the fuel starting with fresh, pull the carb bowl, CATCH what comes out and inspect.

You can by pass the fuel pump (an auxiliary tank), gravity fed to eliminate the pump (if equipped), inspect ALL fuel lines, in-tank/inline fuel filters, etc..

triode

Forum Newbie
Threads
Plus 1, more engine info would help but it sounds like a fuel delivery issue...

I'd start with dumping the fuel starting with fresh, pull the carb bowl, CATCH what comes out and inspect.

You can by pass the fuel pump (an auxiliary tank), gravity fed to eliminate the pump (if equipped), inspect ALL fuel lines, in-tank/inline fuel filters, etc..

I had this same problem. I found a blockage where the fuel entered the carby. It always sounded like it was running out of fuel then stopped. I cleaned it out with a small drill bit. It looked like fluff. Every time it starts doing it I just clean it out and it works fine again.

SidecarFlip

Threads
Could be only 3 things. Gas cap not venting or kinked fuel line or blockage (crud in the fuel line) If it has an inline filet, change that too cheap, maybe 3 bucks at a lawnmower shop or Wally World.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Could be only 3 things. Gas cap not venting or kinked fuel line or blockage (crud in the fuel line) If it has an inline filet, change that too cheap, maybe 3 bucks at a lawnmower shop or Wally World.

Either Twags got it fixed or the lions in his 10' tall grass than has not been cut for a year ate him:laughing:

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Either Twags got it fixed or the lions in his 10' tall grass than has not been cut for a year ate him:laughing:

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Lawn Addict
Threads
:laughing:

triode

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a yard machine rider. It has a new carburetor, but it just started having issues 3 weeks later. It will run and I can even engage the blades but then it does shortly after. I even changed the fuel filter and nothing. Can anyone suggest what to look for next. I really dont want to put anymore money into it. Thanks 

I had this problem with a powermore engine 420 cc on an MTD 38 inch cut. The first thing I found where the fuel pipe went into the the carby it was blocked with a build up of rubbish which I cleaned out with a small drill bit. I used to find I had to do this once every 12 months or so.About 12 month later it was happening again so I went to clean it out. It was clean this time. I noticed it only happened when the petrol tank was low. I just topped it up and away it went again.I took the petrol cap off and that fixed the problem.