BigDog® & Hustler Turf Equipment Enthusiasts Group

John Fitzgerald

Threads
That's nice of you, Max, but a lot of us older guys probably don't do or want to do Facebook.

But, OTOH, I suppose a FB account might be created using very limited info? Just for the purpose of joining a group.

mhavanti

Threads
That is correct John. Only tell it what you want it to know. Don't get drawn into all the drama and bait clicks and it can be a very informative and useful tool.

The place our youtube channel was recognized and the changes Excel Industries began making came from Facebook, not the many forums. Thus, I will continue trying to get as much help for us from the factories as possible to bring about the corrections to known problems.

Collaboration can come from many places. The Big Dog & Hustler Review Page got Excel's attention in a big way and thus, they noticed I'm an enthusiast and would like to collaborate with MaxsGarajMahal.com, Big Dog & Hustler Reviews thru a new venue and that is the Enthusiasts Group.

Love to have you come over and put up the photos of your Fastrak and become a Mentor for the many newly arriving members with questions on how tos. Ole Tom from 577Jersey, Michael from Michael Jessie, Doug Kremer (no, actually Doug has gotten in there yet although Doug is one of several that has helped with designing features I'm working on that I'll be sharing both thru the Enthusiasts group as well as YouTube and here if anyone desires.) Ron Fisher is in one or two of the groups and his humor is always welcomed along with Doug's.

So, come on in and make yourself to home.

Max

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That's nice of you, Max, but a lot of us older guys probably don't do or want to do Facebook.

But, OTOH, I suppose a FB account might be created using very limited info? Just for the purpose of joining a group.

Not only old people.
People who know anything about electronic & cyber security will not go anywhere near Feaces Book, or a lot of other social media for that matter.
I go riding with a few geeks , none of them use face book , all of them warned me very strongly against signing up & if I did to put a lot of BS in my profile, use an email address that is exclusive to feaces book and load it onto an old phone with no contacts or personnal information in it if I wanted to continue riding with them.
Try to leave the feaces book phone at home (or in my case the workshop ) as much as possible so it appears you are always at home.
According to Crime Watch down here Feaces Book is the most common tool used by housebreakers to select their victims .

So I have it on an old mac laptop with no personal information on the drive & also on an old i-phone which stays in the workshop 24/7 & also has an empty contacts list.
The phone is on a $ 10 month prepaid plan that I pay for in cash at a petrol station designed for parents to limit their children's phone use.
The email account it is linked to is a Yahoo account and that Yahoo account is linked to a real email address that is used exclusively for joining forums & groups.
Feaces book thinks I am 167 years old, own no property , have no hobbies & live in the local police station.
I use a nom de plume on the feaces book that is exclusive to feaces book and get about 100 email a year personally addressed to that name and about 1 piece of snail mail per month address to the same name.
The same system is used here, the name in my profile is not mine and I have gotten no personalized spam with that name on it ( nice secure site ) .

And on the subject of cyber security & email addresses.
If you have broadband then you are allowed to run multiple email addresses.
They are your best form of cyber security and it is a good idea to run multiple email accounts keeping each one for a specific purpose.
None of the ones you use should be the master account ( the one the ISP gave you ) thus the only notification from your ISP about your account ( hacking etc ) will come to that address and that address only.
Same for you finances, one email address exclusively for each financial institution which makes spammer & phishers really easy to pick and some of them are really authentic looking and many come addressed properly to you.

mhavanti

Threads
Bert,

I'm a former Homeland Security employee with over 14 years on duty. I could give a shyte who sees me on any venue including this one that has had hackers many times since I've been here beginning around '14. I'd suffice it to say that those geek folks that have been feeding you all that crap are on Facebook as well as most other social media.

It goes without saying you only give folks what you want them to have. Only way someone can get your PII that they can use for claiming your money requires (in this country) your social security digits and banking, credit card digits, etc. Otherwise, if they have your name, who gives a shyte?

First time you're up this way, stop by the ole Garaj Mahal for a visit. I'll buy you a plate of grub.

Max

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well max,
Thanks for the kind offer.
Unfortunately the land of the brave & the home of the free are terrified about what might happen if I go there and refused me a visa on several occasions.
In fact they are so terrified about criminals they refused to issue visas to some 20 year old models who were convicted for shoplifting when they were 12 so Coke took the production of the add from the USA to Oz
So thanks for the invite it will give me a nice warm feeling but not a full belly.
As for cyber security, it is a real problem that most are happily ignoring till it is too late .
If you were involved in cyber security then you should know just how easy it can be to find enough information about people to fake their ID or blackmail them or extort money.
There are 11 systems that have never been hacked into down here, which is frightening when you consider there are over 2000 different agencies who store sensitive personal data.

One person who does home LAN security & WiFi in particular showed me just how easy it was.
Siting on his balcony in less than 10 minutes had found out what a person in the same building did for a living, where he worked , his age , drivers license No, several bank accounts , his wifes personal details, and his kids including their school and where they currently were . We could have found out his tax number as he kept pdf copies of his tax returns on his computer.

It was frightening enough for me to go back and reconfigure my own LAN to fully wired with the exception of the encripted wifi bridge between the modem & the network.
We also disabled automatic connections so the modem is off line till I tell it go on line.
Either that or keep all of the computers turned off which is very inconvinenent

And yes I realise the server this resides on is probably hacked into 24/7 which is why my registration particulars are not particularly accurate .

According to the local Crime Watch, the steal to order full time professional thieves extensively use social media to target their victims .
How better to to find a 72" Hustler deck than joining a group.
In fact it has gotten so sofisticated now days that the pros ( not the ones who get caught ) pay phishers to provide them with their data.

Way back you could get by by storing sensitive information as an image but now days with the immense power available hackers can download your entire phone/ hard drive then run recognition softwear over it to pull words off images.