Poulan P3314 leaking bar oil

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads

drsauerhoefer

Forum Newbie
Threads
May I ask why oil is coming out of that hole? If I remove the oil cap is the hose visible? Is it possible it is broken?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
It is a tube with no valve on it. It is rare but they do break. If you dump the oil out of the tank and look toward the front of the saw you should be able to see the tube. It is jammed up into the upper corner of the tank above the oil cap with the other end stuffed into the hole that the oil is leaking out of. If it is missing or broken or not installed correctly it will leak about half the volume of the tank out. and if it is happens to be stuck into the bottom corner of the tank by mistake will leak the entire tank out.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Bought a Craftsman "Black" chainsaw on the return shelf over 2 years ago and tried to start it this week. The previous owner/shop? had left fuel/oil in it so little prospect of starting...EUREKA! She starts right up. After about 1 minute oil streams out the underside forming a puddle. EUREKA! This saw has never cut wood.

Yeah, the wrong forum, right? Well I am here because the model 358.350882 seems to be a rebranded Poulan PP 5020-2, and the Poulan saws get lots of press, much concerning the oil loss. Thanks for the above . I did take off the chain cover and look at the cheap oil pump plate, but no further. This saw is pretty flimsy, but I am comparing it to my Husky 55 which has been excellent for 20 years (at twice the cost!)

At the rate the oil pours out, it seems there is no resistance at all, either from tube to "channel" or the bar delivery holes, so the suggestion of disconnected tube sounds feasible. This saw came with mandatory 3 year warranty at a local shop so will give them a call.

Side note: Just went through the Husky and "glued" its 2 piece oil pick-up/ delivery tube which was still in good shape. Used Permatex 2 AND VERY LIGHT COAT ONLY WHERE THE 2 RUBBER PIECES TOUCH case seats. This clue seen on one of a dozen youtubes. The Husky was leaving puddles in its case. So far seems dry, but no serious cutting yet. BTW the Husky only needed decarbon of ring/land and no new parts.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I always depressurize the oil tank when I'm done with the saw. Seems to help with the oil leaking out.