How to move plants to new house

LethaGolden

Forum Newbie
Threads
I shall be moving my house in a couple of months and I have a number of plants and shrubs in posts that I will be taking with me. I don't want to sell them as I love them a lot. My kids also like them and want them in our new home. So I have decided to take them with us into our new home.
I have about 50 hostas of various sizes, all in pots and tubs. Some about 4 ft in diameter as well as 20 fuschias and many other plants and cuttings to take. How should I prepare them for the journey?
I will be using a long distance shipping company. I was thinking of putting the pots in bin bags and securing them to the trunk to keep any ants contained. Should I wrap in fleece or something similar to protect the branches?

Can anyone offer any suggestions, please?
Thanks

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Plants need nothing for moving. Most if not all damage will be from the movers them selves. Remember they sit outside with 30 to 50 mile an hour winds and make it just fine.

John Fitzgerald

Threads
It depends also on where you are moving. Some states don't allow import of plants without inspection and permitting due to pests or plant diseases arriving in the plant or soil.

I would bag the pots also. I assume the plants are now dormant? The roots in any case should not be allowed to freeze.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Pack them into cartons tightly around the base of the pots.
Wardrobe boxes are good for this purpose.
make sure there are air holes in the cartons , hand holds are even better and mix some water retaining crystals into the soil.
The bottom of the carton must be waterproofed .
And most important mark the cartons "LIVE PLANTS KEEP UPRIGHT & TOP LOAD ONLY "
Most movers can & will handle plants properly, if they know they are plants in the first place.
Many will charge extra and make you sign a waver so if your plants leak water out onto your baby grand piano they are not responsible for the damage.

Siegward

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hmm, I wouldn't risk packing them on my own. Did they manage to survive the long trip to your new home? I couldn't put them at risk to travel 500miles by car, so I gave them to my sister. Anyways, at that moment, I was so fortunate to turn to an excellent moving company that helped me to make the relocation much more effortless. I don't even imagine how I would have managed to do it without them. According to their recommendations, I followed some of these rules https://expomovers.com/5-essential-tips-for-recycling-your-old-items/ to sort all my items into three piles, items to keep, donate, and recycle. In this way, I prioritized the important stuff and got rid of useless things. Still, I need to wean myself off buying "dust collectors."

Last edited:

MarcelSchaefer

Forum Newbie
Threads
Moving plants to a new house can be daunting, but here are some tips that have helped me: 1) check local regulations; 2) keep plants in well-ventilated area and away from direct sunlight; 3) wrap delicate leaves in damp paper towels; 4) give plants plenty of water before, during and after the move; 5) get help if you can. Good luck and happy moving!

FrankieGoodman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Moving plants can be a tricky business, but I'm sure you can manage it. Make sure you have enough space in your trunk or on your truck bed to accommodate the plants. Secure them with bungee cords or straps, and use bin bags to keep the soil from spilling out. You could also wrap them with fleece or bubble wrap to protect the branches and ensure they're firmly secured. If you're feeling overwhelmed, I'd also recommend looking into professional moving services. You might consider contacting the team of professional movers at https://acelinemoving.com for comprehensive moving services that suit your needs. I'm sure they'll be able to offer you the best solutions for the quality and safe transportation of your plants.

Last edited:

pexaj

Forum Newbie
Threads
I shall be moving my house in a couple of months and I have a number of plants and shrubs in posts that I will be taking with me. I don't want to sell them as I love them a lot. My kids also like them and want them in our new home. So I have decided to take them with us into our new home.
I have about 50 hostas of various sizes, all in pots and tubs. Some about 4 ft in diameter as well as 20 fuschias and many other plants and cuttings to take. How should I prepare them for the journey?
I will be using a caperemovals.co.za long distance shipping company. I was thinking of putting the pots in bin bags and securing them to the trunk to keep any ants contained. Should I wrap in fleece or something similar to protect the branches?

Can anyone offer any suggestions, please?
Thanks
We are moving from Surrey to Lincolnshire so sadly have to leave my beloved pond. The new place doesnt have a pond so am planning on installing one so Id like to take my Water Hawthorn and a couple of water lillies and put them in a temporary free standing plastic pond till the new one is ready. I wonder if anyone can give me some guidance on moving plants - some things Ive read say do not do it. Oh I should just point out that all the plants were bought online initially. Hope you can advise

pexaj

Forum Newbie
Threads
We are moving from Surrey to Lincolnshire so sadly have to leave my beloved pond. The new place doesnt have a pond so am planning on installing one so Id like to take my Water Hawthorn and a couple of water lillies and put them in a temporary free standing plastic pond till the new one is ready. I wonder if anyone can give me some guidance on moving plants - some things Ive read say do not do it JHB Removals. Oh I should just point out that all the plants were bought online initially. Hope you can advise
no response to this

upupandaway

Threads
We are moving from Surrey to Lincolnshire so sadly have to leave my beloved pond. The new place doesnt have a pond so am planning on installing one so Id like to take my Water Hawthorn and a couple of water lillies and put them in a temporary free standing plastic pond till the new one is ready. I wonder if anyone can give me some guidance on moving plants - some things Ive read say do not do it. Oh I should just point out that all the plants were bought online initially. Hope you can advise
My brother bought aquarium plants. They just put it in a sealed plastic bag with some water in it. I think that is good for a few days of the move.