FR600V 20 hp Valve adjust

jjrbus

Threads
I had a poping sound when running and was told to check valve clearance. The valves are all at .004 except the right exhaust which is at .009.

Try as I might I cannot adjust the valve. It uses a concentric bolt for setting, the clearance can be set with the bolt head on the bottom and then the nut on top tightened tightened. But every time I tighten the nut on top I am out of spec again. I have tried to set it very loose and then tighten but each time the gap closes or stays too far open. I cannot find any videos on this.

Help!

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Are you sure you're not confusing the locking screw with the adjusting screw?

edit: I believe there is a small bump on the exhaust lobe that works as a compression relase. If you're on that bump when you set the valve, it will always be loose.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I had a poping sound when running and was told to check valve clearance. The valves are all at .004 except the right exhaust which is at .009.

Try as I might I cannot adjust the valve. It uses a concentric bolt for setting, the clearance can be set with the bolt head on the bottom and then the nut on top tightened tightened. But every time I tighten the nut on top I am out of spec again. I have tried to set it very loose and then tighten but each time the gap closes or stays too far open. I cannot find any videos on this.

Help!

Its trial and error. Mostly error. The trick is to use some type of wrench or something to hold the bolt head steady while tightening the nut. Any movement in the bolt changes the clearance and you are back to step one again.

jjrbus

Threads
Thanks for the input greatly appreciated.

After about 30 trial and errors I finally got it!! Very poor setup in my opinion. The mower has about 170 hours and I was going to redo all the valves to .005 while I had it apart instead of waiting for the suggested 300 hours. But I am not touching the others, I will check them at 300 and if they need adjusting will take it in!