Echo CS 355T chain saw, "crankshaft stuffers"

(Account Closed)

Threads
Has anyone seen the crankshaft with these "stuffers" installed (from the factory)?

Every parts list, shop manual, does NOT show them.

The first picture is from the Echo shop manual showing rod end play, NO "stuffers".

The second picture is my customers machine with a failed (let loose) stuffer.

(Account Closed)

Threads
Just an update.

The stuffers are used to displace air volume in the lower end for a 16% increase(per another forum) increase in power.

As the machine is older, my customer didn't want to sink well over $100 into a new crankshaft.

I ended up removing the other one (besides the wire, the plastic is flat and slides over the crank BEFORE the main bearing is pressed on) just as I was concerned about later failure.

Re-assembled today (with an older, not very sharp chain).

Cranked right up and seems to run great. Even with the dullish chain, it still cuts pretty good (1' thick test log).

I'll be getting another chain (sharper or new) and re-test. As my customer has four machines, I'm very familiar on what power to expect.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The big difference will be in the acceleration under load.
So put the next size down bar on it and all will be well.

Never seen one on a chain saw but regularly used in motorcycles.
The competition / sports ( higher power ) engines would have the stuffers in there so could be made from all standard parts rather than a new head or piston.

(Account Closed)

Threads
The big difference will be in the acceleration under load.
So put the next size down bar on it and all will be well.

Never seen one on a chain saw but regularly used in motorcycles.
The competition / sports ( higher power ) engines would have the stuffers in there so could be made from all standard parts rather than a new head or piston.

Years back, we stuffed the crankshaft holes (drilled for balancing) with cork and epoxy on our Yamaha YZ 125's and 250's.

As noted, I did accelerate and cut thru my test log (but the blade is somewhat dull). It still ran as if it wasn't missing the stuffers, but I'll know better testing with a new chain.

In any event, a machine that was going to the "parts bin" was saved (and I learned a bunch about the internals of this machine). Also, I learned this Echo model is the ONLY ONE to use them...

I'll repost with a video, once done.

BTW, this smaller machines, per my customer are used for the "climbers", knocking off smaller limbs, way up.

Partially apart (before cleaning):

Complete re-assembly, took about 45 minutes..

John Fitzgerald

Threads
The small, light, saws used by climbers way high to knock off limbs usually have bars like 12" or 14".

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
The small, light, saws used by climbers way high to knock off limbs usually have bars like 12" or 14".

Yes, they're called arborist saws and are very expensive.

Threads
I have a Arborist saw ..... Husky 338 XPT 14 inch bar and runs like scalded dog ......... Long story behind that saw ..........

(Account Closed)

Threads
Yes, they're called arborist saws and are very expensive.

Their about $360 a pop and is crews favorite machines..

I've fixed a larger Echo (a beast) and a larger Stihl sometime ago, their still sitting on his bench (un-used).

Another of their fav's (I currently have, to replace the plastic starter "piece"), is a 440 Husky.
That machine holds up very well as I don't see it often.. Also a powerful beast..

(Account Closed)

Threads
Just an update for the curious.

The machine was re-assembled and the other "stuffer" was REMOVED.

I used the same chain on the same log with this 355 and another.

I could NOT tell any difference in performance.

Here's a video of it (same original bar I got the machine with / always used)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/147134237@N06/45591828684/in/photostream/

Needless to say, I'm very happy about the performance... Besides some time, some crankcase sealer, saved it from becoming a parts machine.