Engine won't turn

mrobinson

Forum Newbie
Threads
Did I blow my engine?

I've got a 20HP Briggs V-Twin engine and had it for about 10 years, no issues, I do annual oil/spark plug changes, etc. I went to put it away for the winter and when I went to start it there was a clunk and then nothing.

I can't turn the flywheel (??? the air shroud and whatever pieces are attached to the crankshaft) much at all, maybe 10 degrees back/forth.

Battery is good; starter pops up to engage. But since I can't turn it I guess the starter can't.

Did I blow a rod or something? I'm a handy guy but not all that experienced with engines. I've watched some videos but I haven't really been able to hone in on anything specific.

Thanks for any advice.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Unusual for an engine to blow while it is standing still.
But just in case something is broken, do not keep trying to crank the engine you will just do more damage.
Remove the rocker covers and check that the pushrods are all in place.
After that remover the b;lower housing and then the flywheel.
Stuff gets dragged into the flywheel magnets then jambs between the coils.

Threads
Try taking the spark plugs out and turn by hand..... You could be hydro locked from a flooding carb........

If that don't work then do what Bert told you .........

Let us know Mon Ami,,,,,,,,,

mrobinson

Forum Newbie
Threads
I removed both spark plugs, nothing came out.

The pins all look fine inasmuch as don't seem broken. if I move the engine back/forth i can see them move ever so slightly. I haven't removed them. In each cylinder one seems tight and one seems "looser" but not that much.

I'm going to try to figure out how to remove the flywheel. If it helps I have a engine model 40777 type 0242 E1 (code 040219YC or YG I can't tell). It looks like around a 35mm nut and I don't have anything nearly that big. I tried a set of locking pliers but no go, i don't want to strip down the nut. Its really pretty stuck.

I can rotate the flywheel fan that 10 degrees back/forth.

Once I get that off I'll know more.

Threads
I removed both spark plugs, nothing came out.

The pins all look fine inasmuch as don't seem broken. if I move the engine back/forth i can see them move ever so slightly. I haven't removed them. In each cylinder one seems tight and one seems "looser" but not that much.

I'm going to try to figure out how to remove the flywheel. If it helps I have a engine model 40777 type 0242 E1 (code 040219YC or YG I can't tell). It looks like around a 35mm nut and I don't have anything nearly that big. I tried a set of locking pliers but no go, i don't want to strip down the nut. Its really pretty stuck.

I can rotate the flywheel fan that 10 degrees back/forth.

Once I get that off I'll know more.

Never use pliers on that nut ...... Always use a socket because you will have to torque it back down to 145 ft. lbs so you don't shear the flywheel key............If I remember right the socket is the same as the smaller ones at 15/16 of an inch.

mrobinson

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hrm, I see no way it could be 15/16. Its like 1.5".

I figured if I could get it OFF without damaging it I could worry about getting back on properly later. if the engine is trash somehow I'm not sure i have the experience to get it all together. :smile: My neighbor has a bunch of mechanics toolsets so hopefully one of them will fit.

I have seen almost every other note say 15/16 but that just can't be it.

Threads
Like I said IF I remember right..... It's not 1 and a half though..... I haven't needed to take VTwin flywheel off in a while ...

I did a 18 HP not long ago and it was a 15/16..... Youll find out in due time.....

I agree with Bert on it going out like that not running....

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Like I said IF I remember right..... It's not 1 and a half though..... I haven't needed to take VTwin flywheel off in a while ...

I did a 18 HP not long ago and it was a 15/16..... Youll find out in due time.....

I agree with Bert on it going out like that not running....

From memory the flywheel bolt is 15/16 but the flywheel nut type is either 1-1/8 or 1-1/4 I believe.

Not too many things can seize an engine by just setting. Fuel in the cylinder which sounds like it has been ruled out. Fuel also won't prevent the engine from being turned backwards, Something else to consider and he will need to the flywheel off to check is the charge magnets have come loose and are now jamming the flywheel.

Threads
From memory the flywheel bolt is 15/16 but the flywheel nut type is either 1-1/8 or 1-1/4 I believe.

Not too many things can seize an engine by just setting. Fuel in the cylinder which sounds like it has been ruled out. Fuel also won't prevent the engine from being turned backwards, Something else to consider and he will need to the flywheel off to check is the charge magnets have come loose and are now jamming the flywheel.

Yep that's what Bert said also the magnets may have come loose....... That would be a lot cheaper than a new engine for sure......

In fact we had a few magnet issues in the last 3 months on here.......

Plus Tard Mon Ami ~!~!

Threads
I just thought of an issue a guy had on here that his engine wouldn't turn over........... His Electric PTO was bad ......

He took the belt off and it fired right up........

Just a thought .................