battery tender over winter

Lawn Addict
Threads
I generally run my tractor 2 or 3 times a week, in the Winter...mostly doing some chansawing in the woods, etc. Whenever I am out in the shop for any length of time, I hook up a trickle charger to the mower battery, and bring the battery to full charge. At least once a week, I start the lawn tractor up, and let it run for several minutes....that way, between keeping the batteries charged, and running the units several times during the Winter, all I have to do is turn the key when I need to use them. I usually get several years out of a battery before they show any signs of wearing out.

The thing I don't like is just running a engine for only several minutes over & over thru winter. Doing that does not give the engine enough time to get a full heat & burn out all the condensation in the crankcase created from the many short runs. I leave mine hibernate.

But I do have them hooked to Battery MINDers* with ambient temp compensators. This will adjust the 'float' rate, higher for winter & lower for summer.

I lost my Harley FatBoy battery to a battery tender. It just ran it dry as a bone. That's when I switched to the temp compensated MINDers* ......

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
My mowers are parked in a shed without elect. I take out the batteries in January and give them a recharge, then back to the shed. I get 6 or 7 years out of them, usually buy the higher powered battery though.

Teds

Threads
Couple things. A dead battery will actually _freeze_ in cold weather, they are junk at this point, whereas a fully charged battery is good to go till -50° below zero (or some ungodly temperature.) Further, attempting to recharge a frozen battery may cause an explosion. Batteries are nothing to fool with!

As far as temperatures go though, in general cold temperatures for _storage_ are preferable, because, a lead-acid battery is basically nothing more than a self-contained chemical reaction. Like most chemical reactions, the higher the temperature, the faster the reaction, in this case natural rate of self-discharge, and then the negative plates start to sulfate very quickly.

It is hot weather or high temperatures that actually ruins a battery before their time, it just doesn't usually become apparent until cold weather arrives, when current demands are much higher and the battery ampere capacity is inhibited by the cold. This is why there is a "run" on car batteries every year at the auto parts houses once that first subzero cold snap hits.

Given a choice it's better bringing a battery in out of the heat and keep it in the basement as far as long term storage condition is concerned. I agree with the "charger on a timer" method being a better method versus a tender as such. The tenders do work though, just not as well.

If keeping a battery outside in the winter or somewhere it freezes make sure it is thoroughly charged before putting it away. A little attention towards battery needs will go a long way tohelp extend their service life, they are getting spendy.

panabiker

Threads
I used to connect the battery to a battery tender over the winter months but found little difference. The battery will last 5-6 seasons regardless, so now, I don't bother to do it. My mower does not measurably drain battery when not in use so it's usually not dead but weak in the spring. I normally give it a charge in the spring before use. I buy cheap mower batteries at Walmart for $19.99 a piece.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well, FWIW: My Chevy Truck still has the original battery in it, & truck was built in Nov 2007. Battery still load tests fine & resting voltage is great as well.

So I'll just stick to my Battery MINDers* Totally different that a tender.

woc710

Threads
I get the battery tender . If the battery won’t charge what is a good battery to purchase?

Lawn Addict
Threads
Seems many now complaining about Interstate* batteries, I think they got farmed out to china.

And the Die Hard batteries don't seem to be as good either.

I got mine from my Toro Dealer, 350 cca & 1 yr warranty. Brand is TNT. Time will tell, but it is great now..

If you can use a 7-1/4" tall battery WalMart have them w/ 200cca for $21. That's all I know about that one.

Threads
I stock 3 tenders on the shelf for nice folks to buy. Heck sell all 3 some Saturdays.

Im a cheapskate. I tender everything. The wife's car battery was 11 years old, the one in the Harley 10 years old. The one the rider was used when i towed it home. That was 4 years ago. i dont buy batteries but every decade, and I am about out of decades, so these best last.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I quit using battery tenders from deltran. Overcooked the battery in my FLSTF Fat Boy.

I swuitched to battery MINDers* which have external temperature compensators.. No looking back....