BS head gasket question

Goober11

Threads
Hi Everyone. Just sitting here thinking about my 2 BS engine I have worked on. One 19.5 an other 18.5. Each one had blowen a head gasket. The 19.5 on the JD would you’d run until it got operating temp. then starting to smoke, back fire an cut off. The 18.5 would run but use oil an smoke. What my question is way did the 18.5 on the Troy mower run enough to use an the 19.5 on the JD wouldn’t. I did not think the head gasket was bad on the 18.5 Troy because it did run but smoke. That is when I asked you guys for help.:confused:z

Threads
I didn't go back and review the other 2 threads you have... I do remember me telling you about the head gasket on one of the repairs....

It depends on how much the gasket is blown..... If the failure is small and has just started then it will get bigger over time and that's where you notice the smoking, blow by pressure in the crankcase and gas in the their also.....

If you catch the blown gasket when it first happens it's a different scenario then when it's ran for 4 or 5 months more......

Is that what you mean ????

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

Goober11

Threads
Thanks Boudreaux, that is what I was trying to get across. Not very good at explaining myself some times. It looks like the head gasket is the weak part of this type of engine. This will be something to keep in mind if I have another problem. Thanks for the reply. Have a nice Holiday.